• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resort Close to Taj Mahal

cabrales

The January 2003 edition of Food & Wine contains an article on a new resort called Amarvilas ( Oberoi affiliate), overlooking the Taj Mahal (double rooms from $350). Food on site is described as including the following:

"chile-stuffed fillet of bekti (a firm white fish) with fenugreek in an onion gravy; fragrant twice-fried butterflied shrimmp hot out of the tandoor; chicken with ground cashews; potatoes spiked with tart pomgranate seeds; black lentil dal ..."

Suvir -- Yes, I strongly suspect the food would not be what a guest would be at the hotel for. The pictures were nice-looking. There appear to be fairly good spa facilities at the hotel as well.

Yes that has now become generic in Indian hotels... AT that level that is.

It does have great views of the Taj. And that in itself is a great reason to be there.

The food in Devi Garh is sensational for a hotel on the other hand. But perhaps because it is away from city life, they have ensured the guest does not feel deprived of good food.

you can visit their site at www.deviresorts.com

If this is part of the same chain as Amandari, these hotels are known for their incredible service and beauty - they usually tie into the native land. Amandari, which is in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia is quite incredible and spawned a few others such as the Four Seasons to follow in their footsteps.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

I don't think it's the same chain as Aman______. The names of Aman resorts usually (not always, I think?) have an "n" in them as the fourth letter. Also, the spa at Amarvilas is described as having been developed "in conjunction with" (?) The Banyan Tree's spa in Phuket, Thailand (which has been around for some time). Banyan Tree is in some cases a competitor of Aman______.

Edited by cabrales (log)

If this is part of the same chain as Amandari, these  hotels are known for their incredible service and beauty - they usually tie into the native land.  Amandari, which is in Ubud, Bali, Indonesia is quite incredible and spawned a few others such as the Four Seasons to follow in their footsteps.

It is not the same as Amandari. They have no property in India.

This is part of the Oberoi Group. They run several very high end hotels around India.

They are often very modern and minimal in design.. This is one of those properties where they have gone for the older look.

They also have a recipe for "Chicken Biryani" Suvir that is a little different (it has tomatoes for once) than yours and they have a "Chicken braised in yogurt" that seems similar to your "Murgh Korma". I haven't gone in details aboput the recipes yet, but would like to read your comments if you bought the issue.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

They also have a recipe for "Chicken Biryani" Suvir that is a little different (it has tomatoes for once) than yours and they have a "Chicken braised in yogurt" that seems similar to your "Murgh Korma". I haven't gone in details aboput the recipes yet, but would like to read your comments if you bought the issue.

FM

Biryaani with tomatoes is the more common recipe.

In fact most common is just a braised chicken layered with rice.

I shall write more once I read the recipe.