• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Non-Acid Substitute for Acid?

chezcherie

i was asked a question today that has me utterly stumped. someone with a bladder infirmity tells me that she is supposed to avoid all acid-based foods--vinegar, lemon juice, hot sauce (because of the vinegar content), and was looking for advice on what she could use for salad dressing. wow. i'm usually pretty adept at suggesting work-arounds, but this one has me scratching my head.

this woman is providing excellent hospice care to my favorite auntie, and i sure would like to help her out on this small thing.so i turn to the collective brilliance of eG...tia!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Quoted from Acid and Alkaline Diet Tips

"Foods such as orange juice and lemon juice are acidic in their natural state but turn alkaline after they have been metabolized in the body. As such, for dietetic purposes they are usually considered to be alkaline forming foods despite being acidic prior to consumption. Most fruits are alkaline except a few that include cranberries, plums and prunes. These fruits are classified as acidic because they contain acids the body can't metabolize."

It was just that I seemed to recall from somewhere way back that although lemon juice was nominally acidic that it's reaction on the body was alkaline. Don't ask me how. Maybe the above is an answer. Maybe it's a different case when bladder problems are involved. ? :huh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

she's getting me her list, but it sounds like pretty much any acidic ingredients are on it. it's a toughie, huh? thanks for putting your mind to this, JAZ. hoping to hear from the rest of you, too...

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I would make a dressing substituting wine for the acid, making sure the salt balance was right. If wine is too acidic, I would substitute salted water.

Olive oil

Fresh garlic

Salt + Pepper

egg yolk + mustard powder (if dijon is too acidic)

(or some instant clearjel + mustard powder if she doesn't want either)

tarragon or basil

minced shallots

wine or salted water

Sometimes potato water tastes better in something like that than plain water. I have only tried the potato water thing on a nicoise with potatoes in it, though.

If yogurt isn't too acidic she could make any creamy dressing she wanted.

I'm a little dubious about how the mild acidity of a salad dressing could have any impact on the bladder at all, and suspect that something has gotten garbled here. Several suggestions above (wine, tomato, yogurt) are substituting acid for acid.

If the issue is dietary acid, look to old diets for people with duodenal ulcers. Salt is a good way to mask inadequate acid, just as people use vinegar or lemon to cut down on salt.

Another possibility might be bitterness. A bit of wasabi, or chipotle in adobo? Or maybe a dash of cocktail bitters?

The juice of parsley or other herbs would provide a fresh flavour for salads. So, rather than just chopping herbs and mixing w/ a liquid, puree the herbs in a little water, and then strain through a coffee filter.

Karen Dar Woon

Thought of another one - tea! I once had a salad that had a lapsang souchong (smoky black tea) dressing. Earl grey teas would lend a citrusy note, or even various flavoured teas. Also lemon herbal teas and fruit teas, although some of them might contain rosehips which are acidic.

Jarred salsa may not be god's gift to salsa, but it makes excellent salad dressing.

Not as good, but interesting - slightly diluted ketchup is very reminiscent of Catalina dresssing. Soy Sauce w sesame oil isnt acid, but the salt works well on some lettuces.

Yes, tomatoes contain acid, but not at the level of the mini-list in the original post.

Edited by Kouign Aman (log)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Unsweetened cranberry juice? I guess it'd have to be homemade, I've only seen it sweetened in stores, but maybe a health food store would have something?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"