• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The name of this tiled basket-type thing

Fat Guy

What would you call this thing?

P1020935.JPG

P1020936.JPG

For many years in my old kitchen it hung on the wall and held garlic and shallots. After all that use and a year in storage in the Bronx, it is now too dirty to use and I can't find a good way to clean it. So I'm thinking I'll try to replace it. But I can't even figure out what to search for.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

It looks like a tiered wall-mount, fruit or "grape" basket.

Similar to this but 2-tiered instead of three.

Have you tried cleaning it with steam? That's how I clean my vintage baskets.

You might find something suitable where they sell wall mount plant holders.

I've seen something similar at Pier One or at Cost Plus World Market - I was in both not long ago and one had a similar item with terra cotta tiles.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Try searching for "hanging wicker toiletry shelf" or "wicker spice rack." Don't know about now, but 5 years ago you would find these all over the place at the import stores like CostPlus and Pier 1 Imports - also in the home decor department aisles at TJ Max and Ross - inexplicably next to the hand decoupaged miniature 3-bottle wine racks.

From the picture of your counter-top and back-spalsh your kitchen looks a little more modern now. Why not try one of these?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90022781

With a little Ikea hack, you can rest it on your counter and not hang it (and add little rubber stopper feet in front of the bottom shelf). Or just not add the hooks and hang it directly to the wall.

If you have extra free space over the sink, or a pre-existing pot rack, these are really nice:

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/wire-3-tier-hanging-basket--chrome-target

..and all easily washable.

Good luck!

L

P.S. If you think you can salvage it... I would spray it with a water and bleach solution - then take it to the shower (or sink) and give it a good soaking with the spray nozzle. Leave in the sun to dry and you're set. If grease is your problem, try a 50% vinegar/hot water solution first and use a dish bristled brush to get in all the nooks and crannies.

Edited by pazzaglia (log)

hip pressure cooking - making pressure cooking hip, one recipe at a time!

Is it covered with kitchen grease and dust? Spray it thoroughly with 409 or Fantastic cleaner, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then spray it off. Don't worry about getting the basket parts wet--it won't hurt them.

I have handmade baskets on top of my kitchen cupboards, and this is the method I use to clean them. When you make a basket, you soak the reeds in water--more water will not damage them.

Edited by sparrowgrass (log)
sparrowgrass

From the photos, I can tell that the shelves are woven ONTO the frame - so chair caning would not work.

The easiest way to re-do the piece (if the reed is in good condition, but just stained or ugly) would be to paint the reed (acrylic paint from a craft store and a little brush) blue or white to harmonize with the tiles.

Is it covered with kitchen grease and dust? Spray it thoroughly with 409 or Fantastic cleaner, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then spray it off. Don't worry about getting the basket parts wet--it won't hurt them.

I have handmade baskets on top of my kitchen cupboards, and this is the method I use to clean them. When you make a basket, you soak the reeds in water--more water will not damage them.

Yes. Vaporized grease that has collected. Plus dust. I'll try 409.

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

there seems to be a lot of interest in you salvaging this item, fat guy...

if you get it clean enough that it doesn't skeeve you out, but not clean enough to put food directly on, you might consider cutting a couple sushi mats to line the inside surfaces. more esthetically pleasing than paper towels, perhaps--although that would probably be my solution.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I have made some progress with 409. In order to judge the outcome it's necessary to let the thing dry overnight so I may need to go a few cycles before I can say whether it can be converted to keeper status. I'll keep you all posted.