• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wattage of your microwave

Fat Guy

My Sharp combi Convection/Microwave is 900 watts and does just fine. (I have an extra in storage in case they discontinue it.)

the other Sharp is 1100 watts. They both work about the same - that is, it takes the same amoutn of time to boil water in both.

GE makes a 1500 watt MW that is apparently somewhat lemonish. I know of two people who had them and replaced them with something else because of problems when they were brand new. I know one was an over the range installation, don't recall if the other was.

A recently introduced Panasonic MW offers 1250 watts and the person who has it likes it because it is big (2.2 CuFt) countertop and has "inverter" technology and power defrost (whatever that is). They purchased at Sears in the January sales.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think there may be a declining curve of effectiveness for increased power.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Magnasonic 1100 watts. Very cheap but has been totally reliable for a number of years. It is big and it is ugly!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I think there may be a declining curve of effectiveness for increased power.

Here's a link to thePanasonic 2.2 MW

with a better description than on Sears web site.

I just spoke to my neighbors, who have it. They have 4 teens and one 9 year old, all boys, and their MW has to be up to some "vigorous" treatment.

Door slamming multiple times, repeated use in a brief time period. Has held up well.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We have a Sharp Carousel 1200 watts. We purchased this one after our old one died due to Hurricane Ike in 2008. I can't remember what wattage the old one had but this one heats things up faster, at a lower setting. We mainly use it to reheat leftovers and as a proofing box. :smile:

Westinghouse, about 5 years old, I think 900 W.

Works fine for my needs, which are reheating single servings. In fact it's probably overkill.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

We have had a black panasonic 2.2 cuft 1200w microwave for about 5 yrs now. I love it. 16 plus inch turntable can actually turn with a pryex lasagna pan on it. ( it may bump once or twice til it finds its groove. )

The inverter tech is the main reason I would recommend panisonic though. It is true stepped levels of power. For example if I set it to 50%, it doesn't alternate blasting at full power , then turn off for so many seconds , then blast at full power again

Heating things with it isn't even the most use I get out of it probably.

I use it often fora resting area for large roasts , have even had 18 lb + turkey on a plater, or full pork crown roast resting in there on more than one occasion.

Makes a good proofing box too. I can micro some water in a pyrex cup to generate some steam , leave it in there and still be able to put a large stainless bowl in there too.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I wonder if there is a difference between the listed wattage and actual wattage. I think mine is listed at 1kw, but it is 10 years old and well worn. I'm sure it puts out maybe 750 at this point.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I've got a Sharp 1kw microwave. It has a pushbutton door opener - no handle to break off. When somebody comes out with a 220 volt convection toaster oven inverter microwave for less than $500, I'll replace my microwave.

I've considered getting a used microwave and toaster oven at goodwill, and hacking my own. If I could score a $5 induction cooktop like Chris, I'd throw that in too. :biggrin:

A friend was redoing her kitchen and bought a microwave that has a lot of width & depth. She can place a 13x9 Pyrex dish on the turntable without worrying that it will hit any of the interior sides as it rotates. I can't recall the brand name, though.

My microwave is 1000 watts and works great.

Another friend bought a 600 watt microwave and she was shocked and upset to find out that it couldn't pop a bag of microwave popcorn. :shock:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We have had a black panasonic 2.2 cuft 1200w microwave for about 5 yrs now. I love it. 16 plus inch turntable can actually turn with a pryex lasagna pan on it. ( it may bump once or twice til it finds its groove. )

The inverter tech is the main reason I would recommend panisonic though. It is true stepped levels of power. For example if I set it to 50%, it doesn't alternate blasting at full power , then turn off for so many seconds , then blast at full power again

Heating things with it isn't even the most use I get out of it probably.

I use it often fora resting area for large roasts , have even had 18 lb + turkey on a plater, or full pork crown roast resting in there on more than one occasion.

Makes a good proofing box too. I can micro some water in a pyrex cup to generate some steam , leave it in there and still be able to put a large stainless bowl in there too.

That sounds like the one my neighbors have - theirs is SS and it came with a stacking grid so two plates (or Pyres pie plates) can be heated or cooked at the same time.

I just wish they'd make a microwave that I can't break the door handle off of.

I've only owned two Microwaves with handles - my original Radarrange where the handle was part of the door frame and another one that also had the handle as part of the door and if the handle broke, the door would be inoperable.

The ones I have now are push-panel opening.