• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Must-Trys in Manila

I'll be spending a week in Manila, and need some food pointers.

If my (hazy) memory of my last trip is any guide, I don't need restaurant suggestions, as the dining choices won't be up to me, I'm just along for the ride.

However, what are some items/dishes I should be looking for at the local places?

Is there a strong street-food culture in Manila? If so, what are some of the choices?

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

If my (hazy) memory of my last trip is any guide, I don't need restaurant suggestions, as the dining choices won't be up to me, I'm just along for the ride.

However, what are some items/dishes I should be looking for at the local places?

Although it's been a while since I lived there, I don't think the most-famous, national dishes have changed much: Adobo. Pancit. Lumpia.

There is lots of good food there, but I think these three dishes are the best-known and should be on anyone's "must try" list.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Theres a sweet made by putting bananas and sugar in a lumpia wrapper and frying it til its sticky.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Street food here is more of fried skewered food like what you find in Hong-Kong. Fishballs, squidballs, quail-eggs, chicken intestines.It probably isn't a good time as it is so warm and humid now.

Forget the lumpia, pancit or adobo:

IMHO, the place for "street food" would be in China town. I know this may sound like an off recommendation since this is not Filipino but it is a must. Find a parking lot and walk around China town starting at 5:30pm because it is cooler. If lunch is more your fancy, then do so. Go to Eng Bee Tin Chinese grocery for duck liver sausage (in packs which will have to be sauteed) There are many hole-in the-wall places that serve food ranging from turtle soup and steamed uterus (called bituka) dipped in sweet/spicy sauce to dumplings and sea food to roasts and tons of noodle houses.

If Filipino fare is more to your liking, good food can be had at any of a dozen or so malls within the Manila area. Resto's like Cabalen, Mangan or the more upscale Centro. I personally like the following dishes: Bicol Express (pork lardons/chili peppers and cooked in coconut milk) or the more hearty Bulalo (beef bone marrow and tendon soup). sauteed Bangus Belly (Milkfish belly). Try the Sisig (a dish of minced pork ears/face/liver/brain/onions and chili peppers served on a sizzling plate (served in most drinking places) or try the crunchy fried pork rinds or pork omentum called chicharon bulaklak (flower)... fantastic dipped in vinegar and chili pepper, many malls have carts that sell these and most Filipino beer houses like Dencio's or Katip's will have this on the menu. Please do not leave without trying the whole roasted pig we call LECHON, this is a MUST NOT MISS and I prefer the suckling pig. A variant of this is called Prichon (bite-sized lechon wrapped in small tortilla patties with a sprig of spring onion and sweet sauce).

If you like seafood look for Kilawin or kinilaw (raw marlin/tuna) pickled/cooked in vinegar and chili peppers and/or Tuna Panga (Tuna jaw/mouth) grilled! One final tip: break up my recommendations into different meals as they are very rich and forget wine, beer is the perfect match with most of these foods.

I know you said the place is not up to you but if by chance you get asked where at least you may have a few ideas. Good luck

I'm a plant-rights activist... I only eat meat!

Is there a strong street-food culture in Manila? If so, what are some of the choices?

If my previous reply is confusing here is a more orderly one:

Appetizers: Chicharon Bulaklak, Bituka, Sisig or Fish Kinilaw/kilawin, or all three + Beer

Veggies; Fresh Lumpiang ubod (palm heart in a egg-based wrapper) served with sweet sauce, garlic and crushed peanuts.

Meat/Poultry: Bicol Express, Lechon, Binagoongan (pork belly simmered in shrimp paste), Bulalo, Kare Kare (Tripe and ox tail and veggies braised in a peanut based sauce served with shrimp paste), lechon kawali or bagnet

Seafood: Adobong pusit (squid sauteed in it's ink), Any fresh steamed fish especially in Chinese resto's try the steamed grouper or fresh jumping shrimp, Grilled Tuna panga (Tuna jaw/mouth), fresh prawns and red crabs (the best place for this isThe Red Crab resto)

Sweet: fried sweet potato with caramelized sugar, turon saging at langka (fried banana roles with a slice of jackfruit inside) top it with Vanilla Ice cream!, Taho (bean curd with caramel syrup and tapioca balls),

Be daring!

Good luck

If you're going to be chauffeured around by your hosts, and if you're going to be in Manila on a Saturday or Sunday, I would request to be taken to one of the weekend markets--Salcedo on Saturday, Mercato Centrale on Sunday, and the third one. . . Legaspi? On Sunday, I think. I think they'd be willing to take you to places like that--clean, fashionable. Filipinos only want to show foreigners the best of what they have, and they might be more reluctant to take you to the less-than-posh places.

Anyway, all three of those markets have a wide variety of Filipino specialties--both fresh produce and ready-to-eat foods. You can certainly find street-type foods there.

The first two I mentioned would be high on my list, Legaspi a little lower--iirc it was a little smaller than Salcedo, at least.

(And if you go to Salcedo, you can buy the old-style ensaimadas from the Pamanga and Medina stands. Mmmmmmmmm!)

If you're going to be chauffeured around by your hosts, and if you're going to be in Manila on a Saturday or Sunday, I would request to be taken to one of the weekend markets--Salcedo on Saturday, Mercato Centrale on Sunday, and the third one. . . Legaspi? On Sunday, I think. I think they'd be willing to take you to places like that--clean, fashionable. Filipinos only want to show foreigners the best of what they have, and they might be more reluctant to take you to the less-than-posh places.

Anyway, all three of those markets have a wide variety of Filipino specialties--both fresh produce and ready-to-eat foods. You can certainly find street-type foods there.

The first two I mentioned would be high on my list, Legaspi a little lower--iirc it was a little smaller than Salcedo, at least.

(And if you go to Salcedo, you can buy the old-style ensaimadas from the Pamanga and Medina stands. Mmmmmmmmm!)

That's a great idea... there is one at Serendra too. While these are only open on weekend mornings, you can get fairly good regional street food which you may not otherwise find in the resto's.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just returned from Manila with mixed success in my eating expedition.

I did have some great food, although precious little of it was Filipino. I ended up at a Cabalen's, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really like Sisig and experimented with Halo-Halo, which is a nice take on a 'healthy' dessert.

One question: There was a dish (appetizer, really), that was a green leaf fried crispy with what appeared to be a sort of cheese (??) on it, it was served with a sour cream for dipping. What was that? And how would I duplicate that stateside?

For other food, I enjoyed the (expensive) buffet at Shangri-La, and discovered that I do, after all, like clams! There was also a chinese fast food place called Han-Pao that I was determined not to like because it appeared to be a chain, but was seduced by Taosi Chicken and Pork dumplings.

We also went to a seafood market where you buy your fish and then take it to one of the stalls to be prepared by people of dubious gender. Our hosts did the selection/ordering, and we ended up with an unrememberable variety of dishes, all quite good.

I wish I'd had time to visit china town, but oh well, it'll have to be next time.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 3 weeks later...

I did have some great food, although precious little of it was Filipino. I ended up at a Cabalen's, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I really like Sisig and experimented with Halo-Halo, which is a nice take on a 'healthy' dessert.

You should have tried other local menu like, "Kare-Kare", "Bicol Express", "Laing", Etc. :)

One question: There was a dish (appetizer, really), that was a green leaf fried crispy with what appeared to be a sort of cheese (??) on it, it was served with a sour cream for dipping. What was that? And how would I duplicate that stateside?

I think it is called Crispy Kangkong if I am not mistaken. Did you happen to take some photos?

For other food, I enjoyed the (expensive) buffet at Shangri-La, and discovered that I do, after all, like clams! There was also a chinese fast food place called Han-Pao that I was determined not to like because it appeared to be a chain, but was seduced by Taosi Chicken and Pork dumplings.

That's a very good choice. Sofitel's Spiral Buffet Dinner is fab as well. Try that next time.

We also went to a seafood market where you buy your fish and then take it to one of the stalls to be prepared by people of dubious gender. Our hosts did the selection/ordering, and we ended up with an unrememberable variety of dishes, all quite good.

I wish I'd had time to visit china town, but oh well, it'll have to be next time.

Seafood market is indeed a good place to dine if you are really into the whole seafood thing and doesn't have allergies on shrimps and clamps. :)

Glad you enjoyed your stay and the food. :) There are a lot more to offer.