• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shinjuku Indian

Blether

For the holiday, I took my camera for an evening stroll across Shinjuku and back, to my favourite Indian restaurant. Some sights along the way, from Shinjuku 1-chome and across Kabukicho:

DSCF0782.jpg

DSCF0784.jpg

DSCF0785.jpg

DSCF0786.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

DSCF0789.jpg

DSCF0790.jpg

DSCF0793.jpg

The head chef and branch manager - all the staff are Nepali:

DSCF0794.jpg

Being a bit of a girly, I ordered the lady's set. First plate:

DSCF0796.jpg

This guy was working the tandoor station:

DSCF0797.jpg

For my free choice of 2 curries, I chose my eternal favourite, dal mutton masala, which arrived with a nicely steaming plate of rice:

DSCF0798.jpg

My second choice was anda panir dopiaza, or Egg, cheese and onion curry, and the naan came along with it:

DSCF0799.jpg

DSCF0800.jpg

This is the soirt of casual, relaxed place that you can bring your pack of tabs and a book along to, and turn up in your house clothes:

DSCF0801.jpg

Finally, this rather handsome mango lassi was included in the set, which was enough to feed two normal appetites, and came in at the astounding price of 1,580yen, or just under 13 dollars US, if my mental arithmetic isn't too far gone. I'm happy to introduce you to this place - feel free to send me a PM if you are interested..

DSCF0802.jpg

The road home:

DSCF0803.jpg

DSCF0804.jpg

DSCF0805.jpg

DSCF0809.jpg

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Finally, this rather handsome mango lassi was included in the set, which was enough to feed two normal appetites, and came in at the astounding price of 1,580yen, or just under 13 dollars US, if my mental arithmetic isn't too far gone.

Unfortunately, the conversion rate goes in the other direction -- JPY1580 is nearly USD20 :sad:

I enjoyed the pics, though, as I have many happy memories of strolling through Tokyo neighborhoods...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Oh dear. Got the arithmetic, failed on the thinking. Thanks for putting me right.

Love the photos..random walks through Shinjuku is one of my favourite things to do in Tokyo. Some great memories of thing I've glimpsed, some things to look out for on my next trip there (that is one damn good value for money 'lady's set'!).

Thanks for posting, Blether!

Thanks, RRO. As I'm sure you know, 5 - 10 buck lunches are ten-a-penny in this city. Cheap dinners are (or always were) another story, and when the fanciness of the set isn't necessary you can make a good dinner here - a curry and rice - for just under 900yen.

Mind you, cheaper meals are getting more and more common now - in the third photo there, that's a bowl of soba noodles topped with a big tempura fritter of "cherry shrimp" for 390yen. Dinner for 390yen !!!

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.