• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Help with an Odour/Odor

Kerry Beal

I bought a nice rib primal when beef was on sale before easter and have been dry aging it in my all fridge fridge.

On Friday the hubby was doing some wiring, unplugged the fridge and neglected to plug it back in.

So essentially I've had about 20 lbs of beef putrifying in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. It's not a pretty smell. The whole room doesn't smell any more but opening the door of the fridge is not advised.

Any thoughts on what I can do to rehabilitate the fridge? I've got plates of baking soda in there now, and I'll put some charcoal in there with it - but I'm thinking that's not really going to do the trick.

Are there any products out there that act like Febreeze for dead bodies?

I think your best option is going to be aquarium activated charcoal...

Tom Gengo

You might want to look into renting an ozone generator. Just google "ozone generator rental".

You will have to vacate the premises, as I am certain you already know, w/ the production of ozone in the home.

Tom Gengo

Latest report - I've sprayed the lot with enzymatic cleaner. Can't smell any more putrid smell, but hoping the smell of the cleaner itself will dissipate before too long!

Latest report - I've sprayed the lot with enzymatic cleaner. Can't smell any more putrid smell, but hoping the smell of the cleaner itself will dissipate before too long!

Now is the time for more charcoal. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Now is the time for more charcoal. HTH!

Oh yes, there is a tray full of it in there!

We did save one deepfreeze that year. Cleaned it out with bleach, rinsed, then vineagar. Then, thanks to an overworked repair man we got the advice to close it up with a bowl of coffee grounds. Worked, but coffee is sooo expensive right now, sorry!