• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roast Chicken

Welcome Diane and Michael -

Roast Chicken has been a big topic on this board - everyone has a preferred technique (high heat, low heat, brining, rotating the bird, truss the bird, don't truss the bird, use rosemary, use lemon, loosen the skin, etc...) Could you share your perfect roast chicken recipe. Also, what type of chickens do you use in the restaurant or at home and does size make a difference.

Thanks for participating. I realize chefs are very busy professionals – I appreciate your time.

johnjohn

Edited by johnjohn (log)

I haven't made a chicken in a while, but when I do, I plan to incorporate Alton Brown's turkey method -- brining, starting off on very high heat (500 degrees) and then dropping to 350. I assume the skin on the chicken will come out as good as the one on my turkey did.

By the way -- size always matters (except in garlic, which is one of the few things that are better smaller).

Busy, non-chef professional.

The perfect chicken starts with a great bird. If I had my druthers, I would sneak in a Poulet De Bresse from France. I believe it is the only A.O.C. given to a feathered comestible. Here in NYC though we have the local purveyors at the green market who sell great 3.5 to 4 pound chickens that are organically raised and have a great pedigree.

A brine is always a great place to start if you have the time. It ensures that you can just about abuse it and it will still have flavor and some juice left in it.

Take 1/2 cup kosher salt and 3 tablespoons sugar and add it to 3/4 Gallons water with a few fresh bay leaves, 1/4 bunch of fresh thyme, 1/2 bunch parsley stems, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon allspice berries, 4 whole cloves and 1 head garlic simply split in half horizontally. Simmer slowly for 10 minutes, allow to cool overnight then strain over your bird. Keep it 8 to 24 hours in the brine. My personal preference is to roast it in my weber barbeque at about 425F. for about 1 1/4 hours with mesquite and soaked apple wood chips for the last 25 minutes. In an oven I like to truss the bird so it keeps its pretty shape. Season lightly with salt adn pepper. In an large skillet I like to brown the bird on the both sides with a little olive oil. Then right into a 425 F oven on a few mirepoix veg that are prepped so they can be served with the bird. Breast side up for about one hour (basting every ten minutes with some great sweet butter. Then a minimum 15 minute resting period in a warm place before it's time to attack!