• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas & Winter Beers....

tighe

Every year I look forward to the release of the winter and Christmas seasonal beers by many of the micro (or not so micro) breweries. I particularly enjoy the very rich, somewhat sweet flavor that many of these beers have. I've done more comparison tasting this year to determine which is really my favorite, and with some equivication, I think we have a winner: Pyramid Snow Cap. For a number of years, I would have chosen the Deschute Jubelale, but I think it has slipped a little. I know its difficult, if not impossible, to get either of these outside the Northwest, but I'd be interested to hear about other local favorites of this style of beer.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

My favorite seasonal beer that's easily accessible in my region (New York) is the Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout - they produce it towards the end of October, and sell it through January, I believe. One of the richest, most flavorful stouts I've ever had (much more interesting and less cloying than Young's Double Chocolate). This one is made without actually using any chocolate, I believe, just chocolate malts.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I just happened across Celebration Ale yesterday, which I don't remember seeing in this area (NJ) before. It's a big, flavorful, hoppy ale. I'll definitely get more if I see it. I'd like to try their Bigfoot, but I doubt I'll be seeing that one in NJ.

I think we have a winner: Pyramid Snow Cap.  For a number of years, I would have chosen the Deschute Jubelale, but I think it has slipped a little.

My 2 favorites are Pyramid Snow Cap Ale and Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I prefer both of these over the Deshutes Jubelale. I definitely don't care for the holiday beers that taste too spicy and gingerbready.

so far this year I've had the Jubel Ale, Celebration Ale, Snow Cap, and I have a Bridgeport Ebenezer waiting for me in the fridge. I liked all these, but Celebration is always a sentimental favorite, because I like overhopped beers ;-) Snow Cap has gone from good to bad and now back to good. Did you have any of the Jubel 2000? that stuff sticks in my mind. I liked this years Jubel Ale, it was one of the first I tried this season and it tasted so fresh.

I remember my first winter ale, some ~15 years ago.. it was Bert Grant's Spiced Ale, it had the spicey-sweet thing going. I liked it ;-)

Born Free, Now Expensive

...Snow Cap has gone from good to bad and now back to good. Did you have any of the Jubel 2000? that stuff sticks in my mind...

I'm so glad its not just me that thinks these beers change noticeably from year to year. Yeah, the Jubelale a couple years ago was an all-timer in my book. I wonder if the change was intentional or not, don't really know enough about beer making to speculate. Maybe they need to start printing vintages on the bottles.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

...Snow Cap has gone from good to bad and now back to good. Did you have any of the Jubel 2000? that stuff sticks in my mind...

I'm so glad its not just me that thinks these beers change noticeably from year to year. Yeah, the Jubelale a couple years ago was an all-timer in my book. I wonder if the change was intentional or not, don't really know enough about beer making to speculate. Maybe they need to start printing vintages on the bottles.

Anchor Steam, Brooklyn and Sierra Nevada all have vintages on their year-end bottlings. I just had my first bottle of this year's Anchor Steam. Very dark and very spicy. I overall liked it but I am afraid that with certain foods it might taste like root beer.

Anchor Steam, Brooklyn and Sierra Nevada all have vintages on their year-end bottlings. I just had my first bottle of this year's Anchor Steam. Very dark and very spicy. I overall liked it but I am afraid that with certain foods it might taste like root beer.

Is Anchor's winter beer a steam beer, or made in another manner of preparation?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Y'all mentioned a bunch of my favorites here:

a. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale - for those who love big American style hops. Grapefruity.

b. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - my favorite stout. like someone mentioned earlier, not too sweet.

c. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot- my achilles heel. monstrous hops, huge maltiness and just enough carbonation to separate it from the rest of the barleywines offered in the USA. I buy a case and save 'em for the spring & summer when I treat them like Valiums.

Not mentioned yet but worth noting: Sam Adams Doppel Bock - in my opinion the best beer they make. Goes perfectly with Unique Splits Extra Salt Pretzels. Also, Victory's Old Horizontal Barleywine is always a good one.

Happy Holidays...

Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Ale, a barleywine, will be available on draught in my local pub in about two weeks. The bartenders there call it "Old Lights and Sirens," because it is 9.6% alcohol. They will only serve you two of them.

Haven't tried the Sierra Nevada Barleywine, but the Anchor Old Foghorn is absolutely amazing.

c. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot- my achilles heel. monstrous hops, huge maltiness and just enough carbonation to separate it from the rest of the barleywines offered in the USA. I buy a case and save 'em for the spring & summer when I treat them like Valiums.

lol! they are like valiums, now that I think about it. might have to get some this year...

Born Free, Now Expensive