• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espuma Question

demo5

I'm looking for help for a non-cream based espuma/foam. I want to make a citrus foam (lemon or lime, probably) and have it come out extremely light and airy for a scallop dish. Can anyone turn me on to the correct proportions for an ISI method?

Thanks

iSi published a book called 'The Trick with the Whip' with many recipes and ideas for using their Whips. One of them is a Fizzy Orange, which you might adapt to lemon or lime. They suggest 1000 ml of orange juice combined with 0.6 f of xanthan gum. Mix the juice and xanthan in a blender for a couple minutes and sieve it into one of their Gourmet Whips. This calls for a couple soda chargers. Also, they recommend chilling the Whip for 30 minutes or more. This was a recipe by Jose Anres for Sunkist Growers and they note it was presented at the 'Worlds of Flavor 2006'.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Rather than a foam perhaps an air. You would need a strong base probably neat lime or lemon juice with lethicin and then made into air (think bubbles) via an immersion blender, could be used as is or frozen and the frozen "air" used.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Please excuse my typing...I was trying to indicate 0.6 GRAMS of xanthan gum

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Most of the espuma recipes are very similar and use heavy cream as a base with small amount of aeromatics added. You could use say 1 t lemon zest + 1 t lemon juice + 3/4 pint heavy cream. You might also add a little sugar (like 1/2 T). Use a stick blender to blend and then strain. Put into whipper and charge and shake. Should come out light. I made a soy ginger espuma for my scallop dish. The British Larder has a number of espuma recipes http://www.britishlarder.co.uk.

IMG_0092_small.jpg

Artie

Silicon Valley Sous Vide Home Chef

The Art and Presentation of Sous Vide

www.siliconvalleysousvide.shutterfly.com

Demo,

Interestingly enough, I'm making an elderflower foam for a compressed fruit salad in a couple of weeks, and my recipe might be a good starting point - what I find frustrating about The Trick with the Whip is that there's some recipes, but no real thinking about the technique behind it...

1/2 c. water, divided

1/2 c. honey

3/4 c. Elderflower Liqueur

1/4 c. lemon juice

7 g. gelatin

Bloom gelatin in 1/4 c water. Combine honey and remaining water, and warm to 160, stirring to dissolve. Add elderflower liqueur, lemon juice and gelatin to a pitcher, and add honey mixture, whisking to make sure gelatin is dissolved. Cool to room temperature, and pour into chilled ISI whipper (2 cups fills mine to the approved line). One charge, shake, refrigerate for 2 hours. Shake before dispensing.

This is stable for about 15 minutes, but is soft and delicate. I tried both egg white and cream as the base, but both had strong enough flavors to detract from the elderflower.

Thanks,

Zachary

• 6 months later...

I made a lovely espuma to go with tonight's southwestern flavored chicken breast.

This worked very well.

Salsa Verde Espuma

Ingredients

16 ounce Salsa Verde -- fresh

1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum

1/4 cup sour cream

1 teaspoon cumin -- ground

salt to taste

water or cream as needed

Instructions

Puree the Salsa Verde (I used the Vitamix) until very very smooth. Add the Xanthan Gum. Add the sour cream, ground cumin, and salt to taste.

Put through a fine sieve. You want the liquid to measure 2 cups if you are using the 1 pint iSI Whip. Add cream or water to come up to the 2 cup point on the measuring cup. It shouldn't be more than a little bit.

Charge with one cartridge and shake a few times. Refrigerate on it's side for at least 30 minutes.

Printed from A Cook's Books -- Recipe management for Macintosh

Eating an artichoke is like getting to know someone really well.

• 1 year later...

Are there any recommendations for a non-dairy substitute for the sour cream? (food allergies)

I made a lovely espuma to go with tonight's southwestern flavored chicken breast.

This worked very well.

Salsa Verde Espuma

Ingredients
16 ounce Salsa Verde -- fresh
1/4 teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon cumin -- ground
salt to taste
water or cream as needed

Monterey Bay area