• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey on the grill

Catherine Iino

I love cooking turkey in my Weber Kettle: I brine the bird, then roast/smoke it over a tin pan with a little water in it; the fire's on the other side. When it's done, though, I'm left with about a few cups of nasty greasy water in the pan. Any ideas on how to dispose of it? Can't throw it down the drain. I can put it in a bottle and into the trash, but then I can't recycle the bottle. Is there a better way?

Thanks for all the quick responses. The turkey fat definitely did not "gel" over several days. The kitty litter idea makes me think that maybe I could dump wood ashes into the fat and then toss the whole thing in the trash. I have wood ashes, of course, from the fire. No ravines, but I guess I could dump the fat in the woods; would that be harmful to the environment? Might attract varmints, too.