• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midas Cocktails

Haresfur's post looking for ideas for his new amaro got me thinking. I have a number of "oops" bottles where the contents were both a surprise and a disappointment. I thought a thread about using (or using up) "mistakes" might be fun.

Anyone have any ideas for Root? From the artisan-looking bottle and birch bark last on the ingredient list, I was expecting a complex herbal flavor with a hint of root beer in the background. Nope, smells and tastes like A&W. Any mixing ideas? And anyone have other challenges?

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I received a bottle of Faretti Biscotti Famosi liqueur as a gift over the holidays, and I haven't the slightest idea of how to use it up. It tastes exactly like biscotti cookies, but is unbelievably sweet. I tried a Sidecar-ish variation with it (along with cognac and lemon juice), but I wasn't exactly blown away. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

Jeff Fox

Aspiring Cocktailian

There's a huge collection of Root recipes on the manufacturer's website.

http://www.artintheage.com/spirits/recipes/

I too was mostly disappointed with Root, but living here in Philly where it was created, I've ended up drinking several of these concoctions as local bartenders worked out many of the drinks on that list, and I can testify that some good drinks can be made with it. I particularly liked (eGulleteer) Katie Loeb's competition-winning creation: Dr. Hadley’s Root Restorative.

http://www.artintheage.com/spirits-content/recipes/dr-hadley’s-root-restorative/

Good luck, and hey, at least the bottle looks kind of cool on your shelf in the interim...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com