• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Artificial flavors we love

I confess I really like the taste of artificial almond flavoring in things. Anybody else with examples?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fake cherry. Like in Ludens cough drops or (hangs head in shame) cheap maraschino cherries...could eat 'em by the jarful, god help me...

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Watermelon AND green apple Jolly Ranchers.

And cherry jolly ranchers!

I also like fake banana like is found in now & laters and laffy taffy, so bad, yet so good.

Edited by Twyst (log)

As much as I hate admitting it, I like peach Nerds. I've actually considered working them into a dessert... but so far I've been able to talk myself out of it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Fake banana! When I was a kid, the local swimming pool sold these flavored sugar powders in little plastic fruit-shaped bottles. The banana was my favorite. I like to pretend my affection is mostly nostalgia-based, but I'm not sure that's true.

Oh, dear. If you pop a watermelon Jolly Rancher into your mouth when you are in my vehicle, you WILL be walking home. Cannot bear the smell. I would rather that you lit up a cigarette!

I guess I am pretty much anti-anything fruit-flavored.

Or artificial butter-flavored.

sparrowgrass

Oh, dear. If you pop a watermelon Jolly Rancher into your mouth when you are in my vehicle, you WILL be walking home. Cannot bear the smell. I would rather that you lit up a cigarette!

I guess I am pretty much anti-anything fruit-flavored.

Or artificial butter-flavored.

Agreed.

I'd rather eat road tar than put anything made by Jolly Rancher in my mouth.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Was going to list diet coke but they supposedly use natural flavoring oils so I'll just say I enjoy whatever artificial flavorings are in my coffeemate italian sweet cream coffee creamer.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I have to admit to loving Nocello liquer, which has artifical walnut flavor.

I remember being very bothered by a friend who I had gifted a bottle to. She said she very much enjoyed the first glass of it, and while reaching for a refill, read the bottle and immediately pronounced it repulsive. Rude. I should have hidden her eyeglasses, and if not that, I should have taken the bottle home with me. It's wonderful on dark chocolate or expresso flavored gelato too.

Fake banana! When I was a kid, the local swimming pool sold these flavored sugar powders in little plastic fruit-shaped bottles. The banana was my favorite. I like to pretend my affection is mostly nostalgia-based, but I'm not sure that's true.

Me too! And I actually hate real bananas... totally shameful, I know. :-)

Fake banana!

I'm just the opposite. I love bananas but artificial banana flavor is one of my most disliked artificial flavors.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm on board. I like bananas but the Cavandish - the only variety available except in ethnic markets, simply doesn't have enough banana flavor - even when I use the method favored by Cook's Illustrated.

"

The artificial banana flavor tastes more like what I think of "banana" than the real thing.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Blue Moon ice cream... Its a Midwestern thing. I have no idea what it is supposed to be, but it is so good.

And the mystery flavor dum dums. You are what you eat.

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Occasionally I get a craving for a McDonalds "vanilla" milkshake

Vanilla Triple Thick® Shake:

Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.

1100 calories, 26 grams of fat, 16 grams of saturated fat; YUM! - but definitely not real vanilla.

Occasionally I get a craving for a McDonalds "vanilla" milkshake

Vanilla Triple Thick® Shake:

Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream: Milk, sugar, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono- and diglycerides, guar gum, dextrose, sodium citrate, artificial vanilla flavor, sodium phosphate, carrageenan, disodium phosphate, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.

1100 calories, 26 grams of fat, 16 grams of saturated fat; YUM! - but definitely not real vanilla.

Scary. :smile: