• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonal Gentiane-Quina

Katie Meadow

Continuing to play with my Bonal. Uffizi (Will Thompson) with Bonal, Cocchi Americano, white grapefruit juice, salt rim (I went with a thin half rim). It's a very nice lightweight aperitif. The Bonal and Cocchi Americano played well together, and even though there was a good dose of juice, it still tasted interesting. A good drink to start the weekend.

14252289072_cb92ac24b8_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I tried Rafa's creation with Smith & Cross and Rhum JM Blanc. Really excellent, although next time I would skew the rums toward the agricole to give it more of a chance against the Smith & Cross -- maybe 1oz agricole to 1/2 oz Smith & Cross. Lovely, lovely drink. Needs a name.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Needs a name.

I'm open to suggestions. Names for hairstyles, preferably, though the working title is Troubadour, simply because it looks similar and isn't taken. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'm open to suggestions. Names for hairstyles, preferably, though the working title is Troubadour, simply because it looks similar and isn't taken. 

Quiff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that you've named it the Bona Drag. Nice.

I find much of Morrissey's persona/opinions to be, well, a drag, but true to Kerry's suggestion upthread the dude rocks a quiff, and tends to have many hair-themed songs, and I can't ignore the Bonal/Bona thing. Plus Suedehead is a jam. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

• 1 month later...

I find much of Morrissey's persona/opinions to be, well, a drag, but true to Kerry's suggestion upthread the dude rocks a quiff, and tends to have many hair-themed songs, and I can't ignore the Bonal/Bona thing. Plus Suedehead is a jam. 

The hair is not what it once was, that's for sure. But I tend to only focus on the music. The rest is of little interest to me.  

Anyway, here is The Dark Side (Josh Durr) with bourbon (High West Son of a Bourye), Bonal gentiane-quina, lime juice, simple syrup, orange bitters. It was ok.

14501634265_387ed9bde1_z.jpg

Thanks to Dan's advice my bottle of Bonal is comfortable resting in my fridge. However, before it put it in I had to try a few experiments. 

My first go was the Now Voyager (link), a creation of none other than the inimitable Rafa

1 Oz Jamaican Rum (Smith & Cross)

1 Oz Rhum Agricole (La Favorite Blanc-also a new purchase)

1 Oz Bonal

2 ds Xocoatl Mole Bitters

Stir, strain, up, lemon twist (discard)

Fantastic drink, lovely rich deep flavors. The combo of chocolate bitters and the Bonal is a great one. 

To find out how Bonal worked in a sour application, I also tried Ted Kilgore's Word to the Wise (link)

1 Oz OGD 114 Bourbon (Wild Turkey 101)

0.5 Oz Bonal

0.5 Oz Green Chartreuse

0.5 Oz Maraschino

0.5 Oz Lime Juice

Shake, strain, up, cherry(omitted)

Perhaps a touch sweet, but very nice flavor combo. The Chartreuse, Maraschino, and lime puts me in mind of a Last Word, but with the extra herbal notes from the Bonal it is more complex - less refreshing but more contemplative.

I am loving the Bonal so far. I was a little worried when I tasted it at room temperature, as it had a bit of an aftertaste. But chilled or in cocktails it is very lovely.

Now Voyager sounds like me, but in the absence of Bonal in our local stores I'd be looking towards Suze.  What adjustments to quantities would you suggest?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Leslie- although they both contain gentian, Bonal is closer to a red vermouth (just imagine Punt e Mes with a touch of gentian), whereas Suze much more gentian-forward, with some citrus as well (it's closer to something like Cocchi Americano), and may not work very well in that recipe.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Merci, madame.  I might have a play - maybe two thirds Punt to one third Suze - and see what happens.

Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to send the Lear over (again) for supplies.

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

I am delighted to report that .75 oz Punt e Mes and .25 oz Suze (with Appleton 12, cachaça and xocolatl bitters) makes rather a fine drink. Whether it's quie what Rafa intended for Now Voyager remains to be seen.

My eG Foodblog

That sounds like a lovely drink all of its own. 

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Midnight Marauder (Joaquín Simó): Vida mezcal, Cynar, Bonal, mole bitters.

Bonal and Cynar go well together (see the Bicycle Thief, Boulevardier Riff, L'Iguana, etc) and so do Cynar and Mezcal (The Man Comes Around, Gastown, Last Mechanical Art). So, logically, Bonal + Cynar + Mezcal is another winning combo.

The Marauder is bitter but not ridiculously so, smoky, with a slight metallic edge. When the flavor develops, you get lots of chocolate notes.

15605887922_b0b0e5f72c_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what happens when I decide to make something new after a long day at work.

Add overproof rye, calvados, green Chartreuse and bitters to mixing glass. Add ice, mix. What a wonderful smell. Wait a second - that's a lot of booze. Right, this was supposed to contain Bonal. No idea why I grabbed Willet rye when I was supposed to use Bonal, but since I had only made a third of the recipe, I was able to fix it so it would not ignite spontaneously.

15630538519_c0fe980f1b_z.jpg

Always Crashing the Same Car (Colin Shearn)

1.5 oz Laird's Bonded Applejack (0.5 oz each Daron XO calvados and Willet 2-year rye)

1.5 oz Bonal Gentiane-Quina Aperitif (1 oz Bonal)
1 tsp Green Chartreuse (2/3 barspoon)
1 to 2 dashes aromatic bitters (1 dash Angostura bitters)
Grapefruit peel twist (dash BDW grapefruit bitters)

It was a tad bitter and had unexpected black licorice notes. I added a brandied cherry so it would be a little less intense.

• Like 1

Another Dandy Shim variation with rye for the Mixology Monday Challenge. This one with Bonal was inspired by the Dandy Cocktail in the Savoy Cocktail Book.

I get a lot of spice and bitter orange with that combination.

Rye Dandy Shim II with Bonal, Willet 2-year rye, lemon juice, Cointreau, Angostura bitters, cane syrup, orange & lemon peel garnish.

15194161454_6a6388ba11_z.jpg

• 1 year later...
On March 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM, campus five said:

I don't think I ever put this up here, but on my last visit to Seattle in May 2012, we visited Murray at Canon.

He made us a flight of manhattans. All three were 2:1 rye to vermouth, 2 dashes ango, lemon peel. I can't remember what rye, but the vermouths were carpano antica, dolin rouge, and bonal. Without knowing what was what, I picked the bonal one as the clear favorite. And Antica (or Cocchi di Torino) is generally my favorite in everything.

Gonna have to try the rye/cynar/bonal combo next.

I've also dug the "rope burn" which is 1:1:1 smith&cross/aperol/bonal - grapefruit peel. delicious.

Ooh, I do like that Rope Burn.

Certainly syrupy sweet up front, but the tingly bitter caramel finish keeps the candy flavors in check for me.

IMG_1868.jpg

• Like 1