• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm Conservative When It Comes To _____

Hmm, I perhaps wouldn't necessarily have classified myself as conservative, but I think there are some dishes which I just like to be done "right". I get annoyed when people add crazy things to dishes, like when my brother rings me up to tell me he made I dish I suggested to him, and then he starts talking about it and I realise that he substituted basically all the ingredients and also added mushrooms "Because, you know, I always have mushrooms in the fridge". He always adds mushrooms to stuff, dammit!

For me it is chili. In red chili the beef should be cut by hand and seared, not ground. The base should be a mix of dried and fresh chiles and some aromatics in beef broth (onion, garlic, cumin, tomatoes etc.). Green chili is even worse. I hate seeing tomatillos which is so wrong! Green chili should get its color from roasted hatch chiles, mixed with aromatics and enriched with seared Boston butt.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Jam. Living in Japan, I've accustomed myself to many things, but Japanese jam is not one of them. I like jam to be tart and intensely flavored. Sweetish with a barely perceptible scent of something or other...no, I'd rather eat my bread dry, thanks.

Fruit salads - apple, orange, and grape is truly a shudder-making combination. I think it may be because sweet foods often have a background bitterness, and if you combine that food with something sour, the bitterness will jump out from under the bed and GET YOU!

I had the same "way too much stuff in that guacamole" reaction, so I must be conservative about it. Mine: avocado, lime juice, salt, cilantro. Occasionally, I'll add a little garlic. I was at a party once where a guy (and many of the guests) was going on about how he made the best guacamole--it was full of sour cream, tomatoes, many different spices, and lord knows what else. I thought it was awful.

I'm not conservative about much else when it comes to food. I like many traditional preparations, but I'm usually happy with interesting variations also.

Kitchenmom's reply brought to mind one of my conservative favorites: tabbouleh. Bulgar, green onions, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley and mint...lots of mint. Nothing else.

This dish with tomatoes, etc, etc, or with a couscous base may be something, but it sure h'ain't tabbouleh. And I don't want it. And I won't eat it.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Fruit salads - apple, orange, and grape is truly a shudder-making combination. I think it may be because sweet foods often have a background bitterness, and if you combine that food with something sour, the bitterness will jump out from under the bed and GET YOU!

It's their sharp little teeth that frighten me!

I like the idea of a mixed fruit salad, but it never seems successful unless it's tropical fruit. And I can't stand buying them because they are never quite right - underripe fruits, badly seeded, poorly cut and probably sitting there all day. In fact, pre-prepared salads in general are my 'purist' thing - I can see no point in a salad of any kind unless it is perfectly fresh and flawless. And the same with hot chips/fries. Keep anything sitting in a bain marie or baked in an oven away from me, please!

Re guacamole: I'm not sure if it qualifies, but my preference is just avocado, lime and salt, ocassionally garlic or fresh chile.

I'm also conservative about mayonnaise - fresh is best and miracle whip is no substitute.

• 4 weeks later...

Macaroni and cheese was the first thing that came to mind: elbow macaroni and yellow domestic cheddar cheese or it just doesn't seem right.

My next item is yogurt: milk, starter. No gums, pectin, sugar etc.

And someone mentioned cornbread. I really don't like the sweet cakey style (e.g., Jiffy corn muffin mix). The recipe I have evolved to is based on the Crescent Dragonwagon skillet cornbread recipe from the Dairy Hollow House Cookbook, but with a little more cornmeal, a little less flour, and less fat, made with whole grain cornmeal, baked in a skillet, cut in wedges. (It would be fine baked in an old fashioned cast iron corn ear pan, too.)

Dick in Northbrook, IL

Macaroni and cheese was the first thing that came to mind: elbow macaroni and yellow domestic cheddar cheese or it just doesn't seem right.

My next item is yogurt: milk, starter. No gums, pectin, sugar etc.

And someone mentioned cornbread. I really don't like the sweet cakey style (e.g., Jiffy corn muffin mix). The recipe I have evolved to is based on the Crescent Dragonwagon skillet cornbread recipe from the Dairy Hollow House Cookbook, but with a little more cornmeal, a little less flour, and less fat, made with whole grain cornmeal, baked in a skillet, cut in wedges. (It would be fine baked in an old fashioned cast iron corn ear pan, too.)

I mentioned cornbread and I have probably beat the subject to death here on eG, but I do like the stuff I ate as a child and no one is ever going to convince me that the cakey stuff is real cornbread.

No way!

Here's my method.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For us life is too short not constantly playing around with any dish. Yes, mac and cheese in a classical way is good but why not playing around with it. One interesting variation was duckaroni with duck confit, arugula and small amounts in blue cheese. It's always nice eat the classical version but only using it ? That would be boring. Same with any dish you could imagine.

Guacamole: avocado, lime, garlic, salt. Sometimes cumin but not lately. Definitely no onions or tomatoes.

Grilled cheese: bread, cheese, mustard, cooked in butter. Anything else just interferes.

Making guacamole today using the very simple, set house recipe: avocado, onions, salt & pepper, cilantro, cumin. Maybe a bit of lime juice, maybe some chipotle powder. But that's it.

I considered briefly a variation on a theme. Mango? Pineapple? Jalapeños?

Nah.

I'm pretty adventurous with many dishes, but I don't fiddle with guacamole. What's the dish that brings out the conservative in you?

LOL that sounds suspiciously progressive to me! No pepper or cumin or powdered chile belong in guacamole. a bit of onion, maybe garlic, fresh chile in in the M&P Add avocado, smash, salt. eat, lime juice, green salsa are acceptable stir-ins

Edited by AAQuesada (log)

A martini. It's gotta be made with gin. And there must really be some vermouth in there. Not vapors of vermouth. Not a minute amount that clings to the side of the glass. But an actual measurable amount.

AMEN!

Grilled cheese: bread, cheese, mustard, cooked in butter. Anything else just interferes.

Mustard! That's downright exotic where I come from. Childhood grilled cheese was two slices of white bread, buttered on the outide with a slice Kraft Amercian cheese (well, usually store brand in our house). And we only had it with canned tomato soup.

What am I conservative about? ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' NUTHIN'.

I don't mind enjoying the classics. But if someone hands me a vodka avocado cumin martini and it tastes good, I'll say it tastes good and ask for another. Lobster in mac and cheese? Sure, I'll try it.

Most conservatives annoy me. Some a little, some a lot. But I'm sure I annoy them right back.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

A martini. It's gotta be made with gin. And there must really be some vermouth in there. Not vapors of vermouth. Not a minute amount that clings to the side of the glass. But an actual measurable amount.

AMEN!

I would add stirred, not shaken. And all the glasses and the glass pitcher and glass stirring rod should be chilled.

re guacamole: avocado, onion, cilantro, salt, serrano chopped, lime juice. If I am feeling festive and gay, pomegranate seeds. Never garlic.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Kitchenmom's reply brought to mind one of my conservative favorites: tabbouleh. Bulgar, green onions, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, parsley and mint...lots of mint. Nothing else.

This dish with tomatoes, etc, etc, or with a couscous base may be something, but it sure h'ain't tabbouleh. And I don't want it. And I won't eat it.

No tomatoes?

Met a girl, she was a cutie

She said she'd make me tabouli

But she made it without the tomato

So I had to tell her, "See ya later."

:cool:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

No tomatoes?

Met a girl, she was a cutie

She said she'd make me tabouli

But she made it without the tomato

So I had to tell her, "See ya later."

:cool:

I just spent 2 minutes and 53 seconds watching the silliest video...good silly...but I still say "NO TOMATOES"

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have to argue with the idea of tabouleh, tabbouleh or tabouli without tomatoes.

Of course there are regional variations of this dish but one of my dearest friends is Lebanesse and her mother's tabouleh is my favorite and includes tomatoes. She insists that it is a dish that originated in Lebanon, but who really knows, as it is also claimed by the Palestinians, Saudis,

The middle eastern market/deli here in town caters to many ethnic groups and they sell a lot of prepared "tabbouleh" and it includes tomatoes.

The list of ingredients on the (call in menu) is: Bulgur, cold water parsley, onions, mint, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, olive oil, ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced.

Here's an impressive photo.

My link

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Key thing about tabbouleh is plenty of parsley - too many people add too little parsley and too much bulgur. Tomatoes are great. Actually I think different regions make it slightly differently. I have seen some people add a few ground spices and that is traditional for them. Personally I favour a set of ingredients much like andiesenji has outlined. Plenty of parsley people!

Key thing about tabbouleh is plenty of parsley - too many people add too little parsley and too much bulgur. Tomatoes are great. Actually I think different regions make it slightly differently. I have seen some people add a few ground spices and that is traditional for them. Personally I favour a set of ingredients much like andiesenji has outlined. Plenty of parsley people!

I will still omit tomatoes. Lots of mint! Don't forget the mint and the parsley both.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I'm not sure it's "too many people" that add too little parsley, as it is too many Westerners. I think that, at least in the US, the feeling is that in order to appeal more to Western tastes, tabouli is considered to be a bulgur salad with a little parsley added. However, in the Middle East, where it originated, it's exactly the opposite: a parsley salad with a little bulgur added.

And since we're discussing this, I also find most versions in the US don't have enough lemon, either. Too little parsley and too little lemon make for a much blander salad.

I also think you're right, Jenni, that in different regions of the Middle East, the list of "proper" ingredients varies. I've actually traveled in the Middle East, and although most versions I've had there correspond pretty closely with that humorous video (to which I linked) and include tomatoes, I've also had versions with no tomatoes, but with cucumbers, garlic, spices, etc. Even chopped olives.

Honestly, I think it's just like most salads, and for that matter, most recipes. They're going to vary. Add what you like. Leave out what you don't.

But I'm a tomato girl, all the way.

To each his own.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm not sure it's "too many people" that add too little parsley, as it is too many Westerners. I think that, at least in the US, the feeling is that in order to appeal more to Western tastes, tabouli is considered to be a bulgur salad with a little parsley added. However, in the Middle East, where it originated, it's exactly the opposite: a parsley salad with a little bulgur added.

And since we're discussing this, I also find most versions in the US don't have enough lemon, either. Too little parsley and too little lemon make for a much blander salad.

I also think you're right, Jenni, that in different regions of the Middle East, the list of "proper" ingredients varies. I've actually traveled in the Middle East, and although most versions I've had there correspond pretty closely with that humorous video (to which I linked) and include tomatoes, I've also had versions with no tomatoes, but with cucumbers, garlic, spices, etc. Even chopped olives.

Honestly, I think it's just like most salads, and for that matter, most recipes. They're going to vary. Add what you like. Leave out what you don't.

To each his own.

I thoroughly agree. It may seem like such a simple recipe but even a little change in the amount of any of the few ingredients can make a big difference

This is the recipe I use, from my friend's mother. Does it sound like it would do?

Tabouli by Mrs. Gemayel Sent with permission to post online!

2/3 cup bulgur

pint of cold water

1 1/2 cups parsley

1/2 cup finely chopped scallions

1/4 cup chopped mint

2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1 rounded teaspoon sea salt

3 + tablespoons olive oil, (I use grapeseed oil)

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 medium=size tomatoes - seeded and cut into small dice

-------

Dressing for tabouli (for people to add as they want)

3-4 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Soak bulgur in cold water for half an hour.

while soaking, wash parsley and mint, remove any big stems, wrap in a dry towel and put in fridge

chop scallions (green onions) and set aside

seed tomatoes and chop into fine dice (1/4 to 1/2 inch)

coarsely chop parsley and mint - it should be fairly dry by now

Drain bulgur, spread on a towel to dry a bit.

Put bulgur into a large bowl and toss with the scallions, mashing the bulgur and scallions together to mix the flavors.

Add parsley and mint and toss to mix well.

in a cup whisk together the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the salt, the black pepper and the oil

Add to bulgur mix and toss well to evenly distribute

Add chopped tomatoes and gently toss and mix with 2 spoons - don't break up the tomatoes.

in a small bottle or jar, mix the lemon juice and salt together and set on table to sprinkle over each serving.

Serve on lettuce leaves or a bed of greens - baby spinach is good.

To each his own.

I thoroughly agree. It may seem like such a simple recipe but even a little change in the amount of any of the few ingredients can make a big difference

This is the recipe I use, from my friend's mother. Does it sound like it would do?

Tabouli by Mrs. Gemayel Sent with permission to post online!

2/3 cup bulgur

pint of cold water

1 1/2 cups parsley

1/2 cup finely chopped scallions

1/4 cup chopped mint

2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed

1 rounded teaspoon sea salt

3 + tablespoons olive oil, (I use grapeseed oil)

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 medium=size tomatoes - seeded and cut into small dice

-------

Dressing for tabouli (for people to add as they want)

3-4 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Soak bulgur in cold water for half an hour.

while soaking, wash parsley and mint, remove any big stems, wrap in a dry towel and put in fridge

chop scallions (green onions) and set aside

seed tomatoes and chop into fine dice (1/4 to 1/2 inch)

coarsely chop parsley and mint - it should be fairly dry by now

Drain bulgur, spread on a towel to dry a bit.

Put bulgur into a large bowl and toss with the scallions, mashing the bulgur and scallions together to mix the flavors.

Add parsley and mint and toss to mix well.

in a cup whisk together the 2 tablespoons lemon juice, the salt, the black pepper and the oil

Add to bulgur mix and toss well to evenly distribute

Add chopped tomatoes and gently toss and mix with 2 spoons - don't break up the tomatoes.

in a small bottle or jar, mix the lemon juice and salt together and set on table to sprinkle over each serving.

Serve on lettuce leaves or a bed of greens - baby spinach is good.

Although I don't really measure anything, just chop, add, stir in, etc., until it looks and tastes "right," I'd say this just about sums up exactly what I do.

The only difference I note is that you say you use grapeseed oil. I really love the flavor of good olive oil, so I can't leave that out.

Of anything.

:smile: