• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing truffles

Really Nice!

Anyone have some experience storing truffles? I looked at The Truffle FAQ and they recommend covering the truffle in butter and storing it in the refrigerator or freezer. I think the texture would change, making it a bit soggy, using this method. I'm looking to hold on to it through the winter months and would like it to keep it as fresh as possible.

Before putting down a couple hundred dollars I'd like to see if anyone else has a tried and true method.

Thanks!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Really Nice, I seem to remember a thread about this. Run a search and you might find some useful information.

edit:

Oh, and welcome to eGullet.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Welcome, Yaacov, to E-Gullet, not necessarily the first or biggest or any other -est food or wine board on the internet, but a pretty fine one anyway.

For those of you who don't know Yaakov, he is a famous NY-area internet food and wine personality. Let's hope we see more of him round these parts.

For those of you who don't know Yaakov, he is a famous NY-area internet food and wine personality.  Let's hope we see more of him round these parts.

yeah well for your information Really Nice is a famous PNW-area food and wine personality. ;-)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Don't put it in rice. The rice will suck all the moisture out of it. A glass jar with some eggs would be better. How long do you want to store it for? I think using it up in a timely fashion, a week or so, might be better for its flavor.

Edited by essvee (log)

I have heard that some chefs store them in water. I have not tried this personally, but am anxious to have someone else do the experiment for me! :biggrin:

I usually don't keep them for more than a couple of days.

Storing them in eggs or oil will extract considerable flavor from them, although of course you wind up with the flavored product.

Really, though, I think your best shot is to enjoy them in season and remember them afterwards.

The best way to remember them is to gorge on them in season, of course.

yeah well for your information Really Nice is a famous PNW-area food and wine personality. ;-)

Aw, shucks! :biggrin: You'll say anything to get your hands on my D'Yquem!

Don't put it in rice. The rice will suck all the moisture out of it. A glass jar with some eggs would be better. How long do you want to store it for? I think using it up in a timely fashion, a week or so, might be better for its flavor.

I'd like to store it at least for a couple of months. November and December are so busy it's challenging to plan a menu while having a relaxing time. My local supplier (Seattle) gets them sporadically so it's not like I can keep buying them as I run out.

I want to preserve the flavor and texture as much as possible; otherwise, it's going to Whole Foods and buying it in a jar.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

in my opinion, truffles are best used fresh and when in season. submerging in rice and keeping them in a refrigerator works - albeit only for a week at the most. after that point they become soft and eventually rot, as refrigerators are very humid inside.

preserving truffles long term? depends on whom you ask...

ask a french chef and they'll tell you - cover with madeira, bring to a boil, put in a mason jar, hermetically seal and hold for as long as you like. this applies to black truffles of course. don't ask a french chef what to do with a white truffle, those are from italy…