• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you ever wish you didn't have the food jones that you have?

There are moments when my cravings for a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish gets the better of me. Afterward, I'm usually not the happiest camper, gastrointestinally.

How about you? Do you ever wish you didn't have the food jones that you have?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I like food so damn hot it makes me sorry for quite a while afterwards. But in a few days I'll do the same thing over again, I just can't seem to help myself- the endorphin rush or something... I don't know...

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

Olives! :wub:

I can't eat just one - I can barely stop at a dozen of the big ones and I have to pay attention, put just a few in a little dish and put the container away.

Otherwise I will find myself with an empty container with no idea of how many I consumed.

A few are good but too many = too much salt = fluid retention and elevated blood pressure. :hmmm:

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For me it is take out steam table Chinese from the little place down the road. Much of it when freshly made is quite tasty, but it is way to much food that I can't stop picking at. The wings fried with hot peppers and garlic are addictive. However....the entire episode puts me into a food coma- literally want to sleep for a few hours. I try to keep it down to a few times a year.

On the rare occasions when flashbacks from my younger years convince me a microwaved frozen red hot burrito or two would be good, nobody is happy in the aftermath...

I know they're not going to be what they were when we bought them during a gas stop on the way home after a weekend of whitewater kayaking. It's late in the evening. You're tired. You're hungry. You have to be back to work the next morning so you don't really want to take time to go to a restaurant. They were pretty tasty at the time. Not so much now but I still give in to the memory now and then.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Any kind of chocolate candies ... Peanut M&Ms, Mini's, Kisses, whatever. I rarely buy the bags of them at the grocery store because I know that I can (and have) mindlessly gone through an entire bag in a night.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Anything deep fried. I am unfortunately in the once-you-start-you-can't-stop group of humans, and also the very-unhappy-camper-the-day-after group. In the Venn Diagram, that subgroup has huge flashing red danger signs, but you never remember to notice them until you are already in the splash zone. What a sad existence...

Yucca-Cheese Bread and Yogurt. When the craving hits me I just have to head out to the nearest Yucca 'n' Yogurt outlet (names have been changed to protect the franchises) and eat far far too many of those tasty little bunlets, and wash it down with fresh-blendered peach yogurt.

I always regret it, and often quite quickly since consuming that much Yucca makes one incredibly logy....

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Soft drinks, specifically Coca-Cola. That and smoking are the two habits I really wish I'd never picked up.

Yeh. Tamarind sweets. Just ate an entire bagful, in fact, entirely aware of the fact that this is not going to end well.

Now I'm going to have to go get some tamarind candy.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Any kind of chocolate candies ... Peanut M&Ms, Mini's, Kisses, whatever. I rarely buy the bags of them at the grocery store because I know that I can (and have) mindlessly gone through an entire bag in a night.

that's the deadly one for me, I'll have a bag sitting on my desk while I work and suddenly realize there's nothing but air left. Hershey's Hugs or those "fun size" candy bars...the small size doesn't let you realize how much you've eaten. Until that particular sick feeling from a combination of sugar overload and self-recrimination hits.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

• 4 weeks later...

Dairy, Sigh. I am allergic to it. I get hives and wheezing, congestion and itchy eyes. I absolutely love it and crave a big glass of cold milk though, so I pick and choose what I am not willing to breathe for. Why can't I be allergic to, say, lima beans?

Dairy, Sigh. I am allergic to it. I get hives and wheezing, congestion and itchy eyes. I absolutely love it and crave a big glass of cold milk though, so I pick and choose what I am not willing to breathe for. Why can't I be allergic to, say, lima beans?

Ummm, Lactaid? Just sayin'.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"