• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods = Whole Paycheck = Whole Fallacy

weinoo

Just want to say that Whole Foods does have some pretty good store-branded products.  In particular, we're fans of their 365 Balsamic Vinegar.

Here's a link to a review from Cooking Light:

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/smart-choices/best-store-brand-products/whole-foods-365-balsamic-vinegar

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

and they destroyed a local 'organic' chain called Bread & Circus

that had a full double sided isle of  bulk grains , rice etc organic and not

that has disappeared in my area.   WF has about a 1/2 sided 1/4 isle.

• Like 1

For a lot of people Whole Foods would require an entire weeks paycheck.  For me not so much.  I have shopped at Ralphs/Vons/Lucky's Market and Trader Joe's, with the exception of a few items, there really isn't much difference in price that I can see.  But those few exceptions are really the exception.  On average I pay between $18.99-28.99/lb for rib-eye steak, that is a lot for the average american family to pay, they probably spend much less than that at Ralphs or even Trader Joes.  I only remember once being outraged at the cost of 3 heirloom tomatoes that I purchased at Whole Foods.  I picked them up without looking at the price--because how much can tomatoes cost right? Well I got home looked at my receipt and just for three medium sized tomatoes I had spent $18.89! I couldn't believe it, and I shop there all the time! I think it is because of instances like that--that they have garnered the name Whole Pay Check. With that said, I have a set grocery budget. It's the same whether I shop at Ralphs or Whole Foods, I manage to get what I need within my budget to feed my family, no one is starving in my house. 

I've never shopped at a WF since we are not part of their target market.  (Too many retirees, not enough yuppies.) 

I have seen their stores on television and they don't look much different than any upscale market catering to a well-heeled clientele.  I think their prices are too high, but clearly their customers are okay with it.  The tie-in they have with the Top Chef franchise was a smart move on their part and probably causes some curiosity seekers to shop there.

Maybe it's because I grew up in California where the supermarkets are things of beauty,  that their stores don't impress me as anything special.  Albertson's, Ralph's, Von's and on the East Coast, Kroger, Giant Eagle and Shop 'n' Save have much of the same merchandise without the chi-chi vibe.  If the chi-chi vibe is what you are after, you can shop at those Albertson's in Montecito or Ralph's in Beverly Hills.

Here in the East Bay of Northern California, my local WF has consistently significantly higher produce, meat and fish prices than other markets, with the exception of our two "up scale" markets and they are about on par with them.  Some staples (like cornstarch) can be lower at WF than at the chain stores.  They used to have an extensive bulk foods section and it's now been cut in half. Sprouts is expanding in our area and it's where I now shop for bulk items.  I wish I could say that the quality of the higher priced items justifies the cost, but I can't.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Now that I think of it...the last time I was in whole foods o was surprised at the french macaron being only 1.50 each, I would have expected more. And they all looked perfect. Ive been in tok many 'nice' bakeries that charge 2.00 per macaron, even the ones that are crushed and chipped. I made a mental note of whole foods macarons and prices in case of a short term event.

I recall an article somewhere that said that WF was competitive on staples, but high-priced on luxury items.

This has been my experience. In DC I live around the corner from a WF so I'm there if not every day, several times a week. Their VERY basic stuff is maybe on par with other local places, but a lot of things count as luxury, including ANYTHING labelled as organic. Also, their produce prices suck, but the quality tends to be better than anywhere else, so it's a tradeoff. I try to get as much as I can from Trader Joe's, as their own "house brand" stuff is not only better than WF house brand, but also for the most part cheaper. 

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Here in La Jolla the WF store has often comparable prices to many regular supermarkets but what makes it attractive is that they give a number of excellent, local farms the opportunity to sell their produce for a good price. In addition their meat selection is very good (with some local organic meat producers) and they are willing to order special stuff. Their in house baked breads are some of the best selection in San Diego.

Also, their produce prices suck, but the quality tends to be better than anywhere else, so it's a tradeoff. 

But really, their prices are certainly on par with, say, the Dupont Circle farmer's market on Sundays.

Here in La Jolla the WF store has often comparable prices to many regular supermarkets but what makes it attractive is that they give a number of excellent, local farms the opportunity to sell their produce for a good price. In addition their meat selection is very good (with some local organic meat producers) and they are willing to order special stuff. Their in house baked breads are some of the best selection in San Diego.

This happens at the WF I shop at as well; as well as giving small start-ups the opportunity to sell their products...we have a guy in our building who started selling ice cream, and WF carried his brand from the start.

Bottom line: they're not the miserable bastards some like to paint them as.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

When we were in northern NJ, the WF was very competitive on milk, eggs, some meats and some of their own brand staples, but very expensive on other items.

In Toronto, they are definitely Whole Paycheck and we almost never shop there, unless we need a specific something.  But I am always shocked when I do go in by the prices (although I have the same shock when I visit Loblaws, a grocery chain -- who shops there?  the rye bread I like is $5.99 a loaf at Loblaws and $1.99 a loaf at No Frills down the street...)

But really, their prices are certainly on par with, say, the Dupont Circle farmer's market on Sundays.

Perhaps, but I'm never out and about early enough on Sundays  :wink: And in any case, I'd accept a premium for the whole locavore thing, whereas WF produces comes from who knows where - and their local stuff is even MORE.

This happens at the WF I shop at as well; as well as giving small start-ups the opportunity to sell their products...we have a guy in our building who started selling ice cream, and WF carried his brand from the start.

Bottom line: they're not the miserable bastards some like to paint them as.

Sometimes I think that the worst, most unforgivable sin is success.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.