• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Every year I look forward to the much hyped Jersey Royals and every year I seem to be underwhelmed.

This year I have found a potato, grown in Cornwall, which deserves shouting about, the Anya.

It has a very distinctive nutty flavour and firm waxy texture and I was surprised how tasty it was on our first try. The look a bit like scrubbed baby artichokes with their knobbly appearance. They are on offer nationwide for £1 for 750g currently, and imo a far better, and cheaper option than the Jersey royal.

Its exclusive to Sainsbury's and part of their Taste the Difference range and believe me you can taste the difference.

BTW I have no connection whatsoever to Sainsbury's or the growers

MORE INFO HERE

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I agree -it's a belter of a tater and available for a large part of the year. That said, Sainsbury does overhype and overprice it so I'm more than happy to get Pink Fir when I see them at the farmers market or greengrocer. I really can't taste the difference between the two.

John Hartley

I bought some ho-hum Jersey's from Waitrose.

I also bought a bag of 'heritage' potatoes. I am afraid I can't recall the variety but they were recommended for baking. They were sprouting a bit, and too small for baking so I steamed them and then mashed them. They were really delicious - I wouldn't boil them as they were so floury, but they really did produce a tasty mash.