• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Standing near the microwave

Fat Guy

I was raised to believe: you should never stand near or even look at an operating microwave oven.

True or false?

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

According to the FDA page on this topic, microwave ovens sold in the US must meet stringent microwave emissions limits, and must cease emitting microwaves when the door is opened.

Unless a microwave oven's door is damaged, it shouldn't present any risks (I imagine that damage to other parts of the housing might present similar risks, although that isn't mentioned).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Wasn't that myth debunked years ago? :rolleyes:

MC, pg. 2-184 "The glass door has a perforated metal shield that allows you to see inside, but prevents microwaves from leaving the open."

And the wave power is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance, so even in the case of malfunction, unless you stick your nose to the door you won't be noticing much either...

So what are all the stern warnings concerning microwaves and pacemakers about?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

So what are all the stern warnings concerning microwaves and pacemakers about?

Well, as it says on that page: 'Pacemakers: Today's pacemakers are now designed to be shielded against electrical interference. Consult with your physician if you have concerns'. I guess if you have an older pacemaker (no idea how much older, however), there might be issues. It seems probable that anyone with a pacemaker would know whether or not their pacemaker was new enough to not be troubled by the electrical interference generated by various appliances (?).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

FG

Are you also standing away from your TV screen like everyone was taught? Oh, that was when they were cathode ray tubes, guess I should bring my worries to the current millenium!

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

It's funny, my Chinese colleagues all stand far away from the things like they're little reactors or something. I laugh silently about it but...

Is there any agency in China that enforces manufacturing standards for goods sold in China? It does happen that oven models are rejected by the FDA for failing to meet its standard, which suggests that QC is not necessarily so stringent at the factory.

I do remember that when microwave ovens were becoming popular in the early 70s people were kind of afraid of them. I also think early models were not as tightly regulated; there were some problems with leakage. It's not impossible to get a burn from a poorly-sealed unit. If you have any reason to think your unit is not sealing correctly because of damage or wear, just replace it.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

In the past, units were not sealed, or built as well as they are today. There were cases of people being burned in the 1970's. I personally recall being in a tiny regional airport in 1975 and seeing a woman heat up something in a public microwave on a counter near vending machines while having the door wide open. I always wondered what her health was like later...

Essentially no microwave energy escapes from a microwave oven.

Cell phones, however, are microwave transmitters, and we hold them directly against our brains.

Microwaves are long-wave, low-energy rays that are considered non-ionizing. They are not capable of breaking molecules apart, so they don't have the same mutogenic effects that you get from gamma rays, beta particles, x-rays, or even UV radiation from the sun.

This doesn't mean that they're necessarily harmless. Studies on the health effects of longterm microwave exposure (from cell phones) come to mixed conclusions. I'm sure they'll know a lot more by the time we're all dead.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

It's funny, my Chinese colleagues all stand far away from the things like they're little reactors or something. I laugh silently about it but...

My Chinese wife is the same way. And she's CONSTANTLY tut-tutting me if I look at my food while it's reheating.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe