• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Chris Amirault

Shrubs

55 posts in this topic

I posted this over in the thread in vinegar based drinks 'cos I did not see the shrub!

After making the elderberry drink I found out it is what Americans call a shrub. There have been so many elderberries around I have been experimenting. Have also made something that has something of the flavour and consistency of pomegranate molasses. 

This has been a great year for berries in general, and I have picked lots of elderberries. I crushed 2 litres lightly then covered with cider vinegar. Cooked them a little to remove any cyanide. After a week or so I strained them and added some honey. I now have a delicious refreshing drink, when diluted, and a great winter tonic.

I made 2 cranberry shrubs recently.  I chose this cranberry-lime shrub from Fine Cooking because I love the combination of citrus with cranberry and my lime tree is absolutely loaded with fruit.  Alas, the recipe only calls for the zest of one lime so it's not a big help in that department but it is very tasty stuff.  It's made with white wine (or champagne) vinegar so the cranberry flavor takes the lead.  I haven't tried it in any cocktails (maybe something with tequila and fresh lime juice??) but an ounce and a half in a tall glass of sparkling water and ice made a very refreshing drink that I'd be happy to drink any time of the year.  It was very pretty - too bad I slurped it down without taking a picture!   I think it would be great with tonic and a squeeze of fresh time, too. 

The other shrub is a little more similar to the one that David Lebowitz wrote up on his blog recently, using apple cider vinegar and flavoring the shrub with allspice.  I followed a recipe for pickled cranberries that included ginger, cinnamon, cloves and black peppercorns along with the allspice and the resulting shrub is full of holiday flavors.  I enjoyed this shrub in the cocktail that David had on his blog, sort of a bourbon sour.  Because of all the spices and the apple cider vinegar background, I don't think I'd want to drink it in the summer but I bet this shrub would be a great to punch up an apple cider vinaigrette. 

IMG_2229 (1).jpg

Cranberry shrub cocktail garnished with pickled cranberries.

1 person likes this

Hi everyone,

I just joined but thought id join in here. 

I have been making shrubs as part of my cocktail program for years now so if anyone wants any help or pointers I'm more than happy to help. I am over in the uk and find that tart fruits do work best but at min I'm using rhubarb. I use a sous vide to make mine but have used just an empty ice cream tub. I find cider vinegar works best http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/shop.html   if you look at the bottom this is the exact stuff i use and would highly recommend it. In fact all

Burrow Hill products are top quality. We should be making more shrubs as these add a really good and unique aspect to your cocktails. great talking point and make fantastic sours! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Two strawberry shrubs from some beautiful ripe Harry's Berries strawberries from the local farmers market. Using the ratio of 2 parts fruit + 1 part sugar + 1 part vinegar from Michael Dietsch's book, Shrubs.  I couldn't decide which vinegars to use so after macerating the berries with the sugar and straining the syrup, I divided it and made one with with white balsamic vinegar to preserve the pretty color and the other with red wine vinegar & balsamic vinegar. The strawberry-red wine vinegar was very nice by itself but I wanted to try some balsamic in there so I used 3/4 red wine vinegar and 1/4 balsamic vinegar.  

Strawberries after macerating with the sugar overnight in the fridge

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.7ba56452c4419ed61f549f5c9d57e5ab.jpg

Finished products with the vinegars I used.

IMG_4732.thumb.jpg.27507b1714f154c66c01aaf7215b4354.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin to remove an errant k (log)
2 people like this