• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shrubs

Chris Amirault

I posted this over in the thread in vinegar based drinks 'cos I did not see the shrub!

After making the elderberry drink I found out it is what Americans call a shrub. There have been so many elderberries around I have been experimenting. Have also made something that has something of the flavour and consistency of pomegranate molasses. 

This has been a great year for berries in general, and I have picked lots of elderberries. I crushed 2 litres lightly then covered with cider vinegar. Cooked them a little to remove any cyanide. After a week or so I strained them and added some honey. I now have a delicious refreshing drink, when diluted, and a great winter tonic.

• 1 year later...

I made 2 cranberry shrubs recently.  I chose this cranberry-lime shrub from Fine Cooking because I love the combination of citrus with cranberry and my lime tree is absolutely loaded with fruit.  Alas, the recipe only calls for the zest of one lime so it's not a big help in that department but it is very tasty stuff.  It's made with white wine (or champagne) vinegar so the cranberry flavor takes the lead.  I haven't tried it in any cocktails (maybe something with tequila and fresh lime juice??) but an ounce and a half in a tall glass of sparkling water and ice made a very refreshing drink that I'd be happy to drink any time of the year.  It was very pretty - too bad I slurped it down without taking a picture!   I think it would be great with tonic and a squeeze of fresh time, too. 

The other shrub is a little more similar to the one that David Lebowitz wrote up on his blog recently, using apple cider vinegar and flavoring the shrub with allspice.  I followed a recipe for pickled cranberries that included ginger, cinnamon, cloves and black peppercorns along with the allspice and the resulting shrub is full of holiday flavors.  I enjoyed this shrub in the cocktail that David had on his blog, sort of a bourbon sour.  Because of all the spices and the apple cider vinegar background, I don't think I'd want to drink it in the summer but I bet this shrub would be a great to punch up an apple cider vinaigrette. 

IMG_2229 (1).jpg

Cranberry shrub cocktail garnished with pickled cranberries.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I just joined but thought id join in here. 

I have been making shrubs as part of my cocktail program for years now so if anyone wants any help or pointers I'm more than happy to help. I am over in the uk and find that tart fruits do work best but at min I'm using rhubarb. I use a sous vide to make mine but have used just an empty ice cream tub. I find cider vinegar works best http://www.ciderbrandy.co.uk/shop.html   if you look at the bottom this is the exact stuff i use and would highly recommend it. In fact all

Burrow Hill products are top quality. We should be making more shrubs as these add a really good and unique aspect to your cocktails. great talking point and make fantastic sours! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Two strawberry shrubs from some beautiful ripe Harry's Berries strawberries from the local farmers market. Using the ratio of 2 parts fruit + 1 part sugar + 1 part vinegar from Michael Dietsch's book, Shrubs.  I couldn't decide which vinegars to use so after macerating the berries with the sugar and straining the syrup, I divided it and made one with with white balsamic vinegar to preserve the pretty color and the other with red wine vinegar & balsamic vinegar. The strawberry-red wine vinegar was very nice by itself but I wanted to try some balsamic in there so I used 3/4 red wine vinegar and 1/4 balsamic vinegar.  

Strawberries after macerating with the sugar overnight in the fridge

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.7ba56452c4419ed61f549f5c9d57e5ab.jpg

Finished products with the vinegars I used.

IMG_4732.thumb.jpg.27507b1714f154c66c01aaf7215b4354.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to remove an errant k (log)
  • Like 3

• 6 years later...

We have sand hill plums that we planted along the driveway.  Some years they make, others they don't.  This year they did.  Ronnie wanted to pick some so I went and helped--he had visions of a pie, but that wasn't going to happen lol.  There is very little fruit left in a plum after peeling and pitting which is why most people just make jelly.  We aren't huge jelly eaters....soooooooo I was trying to think of something to do with them when I remembered shrubs!  My mom has been making them for a long time--which is what put the idea in my head-- using rhubarb and then mixing in what ever fruit she has around.  And ginger.  She loves some ginger in there.  Anyway, these plums are tart so I thought it would be a good start.  No where online could I find anyone ever making a sand hill plum shrub but I found a site that had a recipe using regular plums.

Plums after picking

thumbnail_IMG_4632.jpg.8f0a81c28e70f236f51658894254504a.jpg

The recipe used equal parts fruit, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar.  Put your fruit in the jar, then the sugar and muddle.  Heat the vinegar to a simmer and then pour over.

thumbnail_IMG_4638.jpg.96c39e63a75cf2bcf5986977725cded8.jpg

Took it out of the fridge after a week today

thumbnail_IMG_4673.jpg.04062c8cccfdf6c9c8ec9a1eeb773aeb.jpg

Strain

thumbnail_IMG_4674.jpg.b625ed33d246615087f2156f54c63d86.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4675.jpg.448cacf4b10d1d091bf3c7d653eb20b7.jpg

I had to test it--prosecco, ice and sand hill plum shrub

thumbnail_IMG_4676.jpg.e3d34d34807770c4ca8b80e1782b043b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4677.jpg.3b73363ac4dd50b6f142cd16576cc789.jpg

I'm impressed.  I'd like to experiment using different vinegars.  I think I'd like a champagne vinegar with this. 

Thanks @blue_dolphin and others for the ideas and recipes in this thread.  I have some strawberries that I need to use.  So, I'm thinking those with some more plums (ugh I have to pick and clean and cut more plums lol)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 8

On 7/2/2023 at 8:32 AM, Shelby said:

There is very little fruit left in a plum after peeling and pitting

I'm intrigued by these plums.  This site describes handling them but I found a couple of the comments at the bottom more interesting.  One commenter says steam juicing the whole plum yields good juice without the peeling/pitting work.  Another has made an umeboshi out of the plums.    That's cool.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, dureMmar said:

"Shrubs: An Old-Fashioned Drink for Modern Times" by Michael Dietsch - this can help you)
I myself haven't tried anything from that book, but my sister did and had a nice experience

As I mentioned just above in this thread, I've had good luck using the ratio he gives in the book: 2 parts fruit + 1 part sugar + 1 part vinegar.  I would recommend sense-checking that when using the actual book recipes. Particularly the recipes that give the amount of fruit only as the number of fruits.  I tried the Roasted Peach and Lemon Shrub on p 132, which calls for 5 peaches and I got a thick sludge that I couldn't pour at all.  It actually set up in the bottles like a jam and I couldn't even get it out in order to try diluting it.  Later, I noticed that the recipe for Peach, Ginger and Cinnamon Shrub on p 121 calls for 6 peaches (about 1 1/2 pounds), telling me that he was likely estimating 1/4 lb peaches while my big boy peaches were all over 8 oz each, so I'd probably used double the amount of fruit expected in that first recipe and I should have checked that the ratios made sense instead of following the recipe.

• Thanks 1