• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to remove an errant k

Two strawberry shrubs from some beautiful ripe Harry's Berries strawberries from the local farmers market. Using the ratio of 2 parts fruit + 1 part sugar + 1 part vinegar from Michael Dietsch's book, Shrubs.  I couldn't decide which vinegars to use so after macerating the berries with the sugar and straining the syrup, I divided it and made one with with white balsamic vinegar to preserve the pretty color and the other with red wine vinegar & balsamic vinegar. The strawberry-red wine vinegar was very nice by itself but I wanted to try some balsamic in there so I used 3/4 red wine vinegar and 1/4 balsamic vinegar.  

Strawberries after macerating with the sugar overnight in the fridge

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.7ba56452c4419ed61f549f5c9d57e5ab.jpg

Finished products with the vinegars I used.

IMG_4732.thumb.jpg.27507b1714f154c66c01aaf7215b4354.jpg

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Two strawberry shrubs from some beautiful ripe Harry's Berries strawberries from the local farmers market. Using the ratio of 2 parts fruit + 1 part sugar + 1 part vinegar from Michael Dietsch's book, Shrubs.  I couldn't decide which vinegars to use so after macerating the berries with the sugar and straining the syrup,k  I divided it and made one with with white balsamic vinegar to preserve the pretty color and the other with red wine vinegar & balsamic vinegar. The strawberry-red wine vinegar was very nice by itself but I wanted to try some balsamic in there so I used 3/4 red wine vinegar and 1/4 balsamic vinegar.  

Strawberries after macerating with the sugar overnight in the fridge

IMG_4728.thumb.jpg.7ba56452c4419ed61f549f5c9d57e5ab.jpg

Finished products with the vinegars I used.

IMG_4732.thumb.jpg.27507b1714f154c66c01aaf7215b4354.jpg