• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First time baking with yeast

Almondmeal

. . . .

The bread came out gorgeously, BUT

No flavor!

I used this recipe exactly, with honey

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/classic-100-whole-wheat-bread-recipe

Its good but Im looking for a yeasty full bodied richer whole wheat bread like the kind they sell at Great Harvest Breads in Wayne, Pa

Ill try fresh yeast, melted butter for the oil and molasses tomorrow, would that help?

Butter should help, but if you can manage it, extending at least the first rising time should increase the complexity of the flavour. When I don't have much time to make a loaf, I always add olive oil (no special reason, just what I'm used to, flavour-wise) to compensate for the less-developed flavour.

I've also had nice results with malt powder.

What's the dried milk do in the recipe? Dairy often seems to sort of mute flavours, and I'm wondering whether that isn't the case here, too.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

The loaf was perfect, not too dry not too moist...

I let it rise for 2 hours the first time. How do I increase the fiber content?

Im also going to make Oatcakes from here

http://www.allotment.org.uk/recipe/77/recipe-for-north-staffordshire-oatcake/

Thanks for your help

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

. . . .

I let it rise for 2 hours the first time. How do I increase the fiber content?

. . . .

Depending on your preference in texture/flavour, rolled oats, cracked grains/grain blends, bran, or even grated veg. work well. If you use cracked grain blends, it helps to pour over just enough boiling water to cover, and let this sit about 10 minutes before adding to the dough.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

• 2 weeks later...