• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Uses for pineapple core

heidih

• 3 weeks later...

I did that prep yesterday just as a fun snack for hanging out with my friend. SV'ed the ribbons at 75C for several hours with some moscatel vinegar and a little demerara sugar. Made thinner noodles, tossed with the same stuff. The flavor was great, but the noodles themselves were still incredibly woody and fibrous. Enough that I did not enjoy it and didn't want to swallow them. Not sure if longer cook time would make a difference or if some pineapples are just woodier than others.

A.

^^^

Heidi, that is just blood brilliant. I am awed and impressed. I can't wait to try it.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Daisy Martinez's VINAGRE along with the peel

I thought of this, as well.

Here's a link to Daisy's web site and the recipe "Spicy Pineapple Vinegar "(click). You could easily omit the habeñeros or substitute a milder chile pepper.

I will be trying this the next time I have a pineapple. I had already discarded the skins when this came up. I still have a few habaneros from last garden season in the freezer so it will be a perfect showcase I think.

Its freaking addictive you can almost drink it!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

You can also take the cores and skins, boil them up in enough water to cover, strain, and simply chill and drink the resulting beverage. It goes down quite smooth (it's sweeter than you'd think), and is even better with a dash of white rum and a bit of strawberry juice.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)