• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mt. Olive pickles

Fat Guy

We recently drove down to the North Carolina coast and took an unsuccessful shortcut from I-95 to I-40. The one nice thing about the routing was that we drove through a couple of legendary barbecue towns (Goldsboro and Wilson, not that we stopped). And at one point we passed through a place called Mt. Olive, where the signage claimed the town is the pickle capital of the world. I made a mental note and then, as with many of my mental notes, I forgot all about it.

A couple of days later I was at the Food Lion getting some food supplies and a section of one aisle caught my eye: there was a whole block of shelf space devoted to the product line of the Mt. Olive pickle company.

I bought a jar of kosher baby dills. Later, I ate a couple. I must say, they were probably the best shelf-stable pickles I've had. Very crunchy with a nice balance of salt, vinegar and seasonings. Certainly much better than the major supermarket brands. I'd have to do a more rigorous tasting against B&G -- my previous favorite brand -- to be sure.

The location of Mt. Olive's facility, by the way, is the corner of Cucumber and Vine. The company's website: http://www.mtolivepickles.com

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Since I'm from NC, I often buy Mt. Olive products as I like supporting a local business. There used to also be a pickle factory in Faison which is right by Mt. Olive. In Faison they made Cates pickles. I think Mt. Olive pickles are delish! Last year I attended the Pickle Festival at Mt. Olive and it was a blast!

I work in a restaurant that used Mt. Olive pickles and peppers. They were awesome. Then Mt. Olive had that whole child labor law issue thing, and our eatery joined the boycott...

"It only hurts if it bites you" - Steve Irwin

"Whats another word for Thesaurus?" - Me