• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner for one

Rather annoyingly my holidays this month arrive just as friends etc are heading back to work. I am a little exhausted after a busy month and thought about flying out somewhere for a few days just to unwind but then it crossed my mind that since I haven't really eaten out anywhere this year maybe I'd travel round this country for three days and try out lunch and dinner in different cities. Who knows, it could be a really boring idea but I'm sort of enjoying the idea of sitting on a train listening to music and Oxford's Short Introductions inbetween meals.

I am a young, slightly selfaware man so ideally would like reading recommendations for places to eat where I wouldn't stand out. I've worked in a kitchen at a restaurant where it'd be bizarre for someone such as myself to sit and eat among romancing couples so could do without stepping into that arena. Places serving good/interesting food where I won't be looked at like a lepper.

I reckon you'll find that most city centre places will be well accustomed to the "business traveller" single diner so you'll be unlikely to stand out. Even though now retired, my interests take me away from home from time to time. I tend to look for the good quality casual place - at higher end places, I miss someone to talk about the food with. Take a book or newspaper in case you get bored between courses (although earwigging other conversations is occasionally fun)

John Hartley

I'm in the North West, Lancaster. I fancy going whereever, probably a day in the North East, then two days down South starting this Monday!

The only place I've had on my mind is somewhere called British Larder in Suffolk because I followed the girl's food blog a few years previous to her opening the place. Not heard any reviews of the place yet.

I'm in the North West, Lancaster. I fancy going whereever, probably a day in the North East, then two days down South starting this Monday!

The only place I've had on my mind is somewhere called British Larder in Suffolk because I followed the girl's food blog a few years previous to her opening the place. Not heard any reviews of the place yet.

Actually, there was this from last year- I remembered it as we stay close by in Orford.

look if you want to feel better about yourself come to Blackpool, have a walk around, thank the Omniscient MRI in the sky you don't live here, then you'll really enjoy the train journey back. :biggrin: