• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Counter stools

Fat Guy

I'm having the hardest time finding stools/chairs for my kitchen counter. The height of the counter is the standard 30 inches (aka 76.2 centimeters). Ideally I'd like stools that 1- have a back, 2- are adjustable in height (so as to work for a child), and 3- are not crazy-expensive. I should also note, I like my counter (and bar) stools slightly higher than the recommended 10" lower than the counter height.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I just asked the same question in my eG foodblog. Why is it so hard to find good stools? I want the same things as you -- a back, they have to be comfortable, not expensive, adjustable would be good too. The only stools I've found locally that fit the criteria missed one -- they're about $500 each.

Restaurant Depot carries dozens of different counter stools, including the classic tubular chrome topped by a rotating vinyl seat (quite inexpensive, too: http://www.therdstore.com/page/IFSES/CTGY/BSMETAL). If price didn't matter, I'd buy these: http://www.thosmoser.com/category/stools/product/218/high_stool/

The best we found are made by Dinec. http://www.dinec.com/products/dpc_zoom.asp?lang=en&cat=7&id=128

You can specify wood, seating surface etc to customize. We have had four of the swivel chairs for about 10 years for use at our bar/pass through and they are bulletproof. We also had Dinec make a matching 'race track' family room dining table with inserts to seat at least 12 comfortably http://www.dinec.com/products/dpc.asp?lang=en&model=1&cat=1&p=7 with matching chairs. The quality is excellent.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)

I've looked at all the first-line specimens that Google turns up. Most fail the test of adjustability. I really need height-adjustable because we have a growing 5-year-old and his requirements are ever-changing.

I have a friend who shelled out for the Moser barstools. Call me a philistine but a thousand bucks for a chair without a back?

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Try here:

http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/search-furniture?&fid2=FBarStoolsType

We just bought some counter stools from here that could be ordered in one of several heights. You can filter for stools of a certain height range and they have several that are height-adjustable.

(Standard disclaimer: no affiliations) and FWIW, one of the new stools broke after 3 uses. Might be a fluke. Will let you know how their customer service is when I know.

Edited by xxchef (log)

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

Depending on your design aesthetic, you might expand your search to include drafting stools.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I'm having trouble with this. 30" is standard table height. You should just be looking for chairs, no?

You are correct. I was looking at the wrong dimension. The counters are 36" high (91.44 centimeters).

Depending on your design aesthetic, you might expand your search to include drafting stools.

Great idea. So far my top contender is a shop stool, so a drafting stool makes sense.

There are actually a lot of interesting options there. Good find. One of the models is the same as one I saw on Amazon and the complaint was that it couldn't accommodate a person weighing over 200 pounds (which I do). I'll have to do some deeper research on some of these.

Rob, have you had anybody heavy (like 200+ pounds) sit on them?

How about these from Target? They also come in black.

http://www.target.com/Scoop-Swivel-Gas-Lift-Stools/dp/B001S8CERU/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Do they need to be adjustable so they are easier to get into, or for seating height? I remember this one from when I was little and visiting my grandparents. I wish I kept that stool.

http://www.target.com/Cosco-Retro-Chair-Step-Stool/dp/B0002M9M0K/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 2 weeks later...

In looking at thrift/antique/consignment shops I've found that the counter stools of old are pretty impressive, heft-wise and sturdiness-wise. I haven't seen any good adjustable ones but I may have to give on that point. In any event I'm currently resolved to get some older counter stools.

As a temporary solution, since the search could take months, I got three of these $18 counter stools from IKEA.

P1020933.JPG