• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut Cake for Easter

lancastermike

Every year for Easter I always make a coconut cake with lemon curd filing for Easter. No matter how I thickened the curd and how long I chilled it it was always too thin to work real well as a filling. So, I switched to a lemon filling with some cornstarch.

My recipie is always the same and I am wondering what others use for both filing, cake and icing. I think coconut cake is something lots of folks have at Easter time. So, what does everyone do for this old standby?

There is an old extensive discussion on coconut cake here that you may have already seen.

I love lemon filling in a coconut cake and then toasted coconut pressed all over (no green food coloring please). I would be very interested in a version with tangerine filling.

This is my go-to coconut cake recipe. It is the best I've ever made and almost the best I've ever tasted. Some years I use lemon curd between the layers, other times I just use icing. This year my daughter Jessica wanted to host Easter lunch in her new apartment and requested a cheesecake of some sort. I found an interesting recipe in Junior's Cheesecake Cookbook for a layered cheesecake that I'm going to make with a few adjustments. It is a layer of lemon cheesecake, a layer of lemon curd (I'm using Key lime extract in the cheesecake layer and Key lime curd) and a layer of spongecake all frosted with stablized whipped cream and coconut.