• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Obsessions

gfweb

The bacon topic got me obsessing about bacon and sausage. I want some now and I'm trapped at work. Sausage/bacon lust is a recurring theme with me. And Reubens too.

Anyone else similarly afflicted?

yes. would love to have some bacon and a slice of lemon chess pie.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

The caramelized apricot that Steven was kind enough to provide a picture of, from his dinner at elBulli.

I cannot stop thinking about it, and keep going back to the image to look at it. I want to know how to make this, even if it may prove technically impossible outside a specialized restaurant kitchen. It is self-containedly perfect.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Fried clams....and not the clam strip kind! Living on the west coast of Canada, proper fried clams are not easy to find. Can't wait for my trip back east this summer, that will be one of the first meals I seek out as soon as I get off the plane. And I can't even make them here if I wanted to as I prefer the steamers/soft shelled clams. Luckily, I can access mussels, lobsters, fresh oysters, so I can fufill my love of seafood but so miss the clams. I'll sometimes cave and get myself the clam strips but immediately regret it. Only 3 more months...... :wub:

A truly destitute man is not one without riches, but the poor wretch who has never partaken of lobster. - anonymous

On my very first trip to San Sebastian, I spent an afternoon eating octopus and drinking the local txacoli wine in the sun. I now crave it constantly, and firmly believe that wherever I go there should be an establishment offering pulpo and a glass.

Very hot curry. Lived in India 2 1/2 years, now living in the southern part of NM - desperately impossible to even find hot salsa, let alone a face-peeling chili chicken curry.

And bacon. :D

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Cheese. Particularly gorgonzola. I'm obsessing about going to Costco and buying one of those giant hunks of gorgonzola and digging into it with a spoon.

OMG. I'm still thinking about it. At this point, any cheese will do.