• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Bistros in 5th and 6th

jackal10

Had an excellent bistro meal at Josephine "Chez Dumonet" in the 6th (117 rue du Cherche-Midi) last fall.

Some of the best salmon I've ever had (smoked in-house) and a stellar terrine. I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into with the andouillette, but that's hardly their fault. Funky doesn't begin to describe it. My wife's bœuf bourguignon was perfect, classic. The much hyped soufflé was a bit of a let-down, cheese was a better way to end.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 weeks later...

"like the old Polidor".....perhaps the Machon d'Henri on touristy rue Guisarde in the 6th (south of rue de Four, north of St. Suplice). The menu hasn't changed in some 20 years that I can attest to. However, there is a newish chef who really cares about the quality of the classic plates he turns out (again and again and again). Portion size has increased considerably in the last year or so, so seriously consider sharing a starter or going without. The main courses are huge. Note: many plates are sauced, so you might inquire and order sauce on the side if you prefer plain roast chicken or veal chop or steak.

Henri has soul, if not haute cuisine. Also, it serves 7/7.

eGullet member #80.