• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Iron Chef Season 4 starts October 2011

ckamom

That list is primed to evoke my worst sense of cynicism towards fine dining. When Top Chef: Masters' Marcus Samuelsson (winner) and Michael Chiarello (runner up) are put on the card with cooking-instructor-and-sous-chef-to-the-TV-stars Anne Burrell, and glorified Navy Cook Robert Irvine, is there really a difference between the top and the middle?

Spike appears to be the only one without a show on the Food Network or the Cooking Channel.

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, that's show biz. And some of these people putting their "reputations" on the line. Also, funny.

That list is primed to evoke my worst sense of cynicism towards fine dining. When Top Chef: Masters' Marcus Samuelsson (winner) and Michael Chiarello (runner up) are put on the card with cooking-instructor-and-sous-chef-to-the-TV-stars Anne Burrell, and glorified Navy Cook Robert Irvine,
FN competitions equate fine dining with fine TV chops. For the judges/producers/executives, "personality" trumps all. I'm looking at you, Next Food Network Star (well, not anymore).

Think of next iron chef as being like minor league baseball. Every team has a few good prospects but is mostly made up of guys with no chance who are kept around so the prospect will have somebody to play with.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think that Marcus Samuelsson and Anne Burrell are both wonderful. Recall, too, that America's Next Iron Chef brought us the race between Michael Symon and John Besh. Great television and great chefs.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

• 4 months later...

Alton Brown has turned into a putz on TNIC. His attitude toward chefs who could kick his ass in the kitchen is unseemly and uncalled-for. The Brit is likewise insufferable and full of himself.

Alton Brown and Simon Whatshisname are both wankers. I'm secretly hoping that Michael Chiarello gets his Italian up and whips their collective asses the next time they snark on a man who made fresh pasta in twenty minutes in a strange kitchen. It'll never happen, but I can dream.

I also am skeptical about Zakarian getting a pass on not following the rules. He hosts Chopped and they are a little slippery about the rules there, so maybe he figured he could do the same here?

It looks like Beau get the ax next week from the preview.