• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weekend in Boston

Carlson1105

That's a big question. Any guidance on what you're looking for, re: preferred cuisine/style/budget? The Copley Plaza is centrally located so you're not far from other neighborhoods, even Cambridge, if you don’t mind the subway or a short taxi ride.

Several older topics that might be helpful:

Best Boston Restaurant

Boston seafood restaurant needed

Dinner before symphony concert in Boston

O Ya Boston

I'll be there in two months time. I'd really like to know where to get the best fried clams! Any recommendations welcomed.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

I'm sure there are Boston peeps who can give you more info than I. But, I spent a lot of time in the Boston area years ago and went back for a vacation last summer...

If you really want fried clams, you need to venture up the North shore to Ipswich or Essex. I'm a big fan of Woodmans in Essex. Others prefer the Clam Box in Ipswich.

Last summer, we hit Neptune Oyster in the North End and I loved it! Others in our party, not so much, but that was because they wanted fish, not shellfish. It's tiny, expensive and they don't take reservations. The food is great. They'll take your cell number and you can wander the North End until they call you for your table. DH and I had a bunch of stuff off the raw bar and split a lobster sandwich. Heaven! They do fried clams, but we didn't go there. We knew we'd be hitting Woodman's later in the trip.

IMHO, Barking Crab is a tourist trap... steer clear.

Haven't been there, but Island Creek Oyster Bar is getting a lot of good reports. It's relatively new.

For fish, I'd add Island Creek Oyster Bar and East Coast Grill (also a bunch option) to the list. Both are going to be more casual than the likes of No 9 Park and TW Food though.

Mentioned often in the same breath at TW Food is Craigie on Main (I haven't been to either, so I can't really compare them).

I've heard good things about the brunch at Trident Booksellers on Newbury Street. I'm sure there are probably some other good options in the South End, which isn't too far from your hotel either.

If you like good beer, Boston has lots of good options, but the best are near Kendall Square across the river in Cambridge: Lord Hobo and Cambridge Brewing Company.

Just 3 recommendations from me:

The Ipswich Clam Box is an absolute must. Way out of the way, but your view of fried clams will never be the same.

On Saturday between 11 and 2 on Huron Ave. in Cambridge, the barbecue at Formaggio Kitchen (and then go inside and buy some of the best cheeses available on the East Coast).

Locke-Ober for one of the oldest restaurants in the US, with incredible interior detail. It's not the same (or as good) since Lydia Shire took it over, but still worth it for a dress-up dinner. It's like stepping back in time. Order a Ward 8 at the bar (invented there).

Craigie on main, journeyman, tw food, bergamot, and rendezvous are all terrific. Journeyman is the newest and least heralded of this set, but extremely fine. Just back from a delightful,skillful lamb sirloin at bergamot.

The Ipswich Clam Box is an absolute must. Way out of the way, but your view of fried clams will never be the same.

OK you put me over the top. Our free day in Boston will include going to the Clam Box. Thank you!

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

If you're driving up to Ipswich, pick up some donuts from Kane's in Saugus.

Noted. My list is growing thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

How long will you be in Boston, and are you going to the museums or anything? If you are the MFA has a nice restaurant called Bravo, its nice to wander the exhibits and be able to get something good to eat at the same place. Are you looking for a good bar if so I say hit up Drink, Eastern Standard, Green Street, the Blue Room... you can find more information about that here DrinkBoston.com. It also has information on the best bar tenders in town. I would recommend at least going to one or a few of these places as Boston now is really becoming a driving force in the Cocktail resurgence and movement. A lot of these places are also restaurants as well. If you need more help The Best of Boston 2010 on restaurant and food, as well as nightlife and bars has some good info.

Edited by ForSix (log)

Plan so far is La Verdad Friday night, I'm friends with the chef from when he was here in Philly. Eastern Standard on Saturday night and Brunch at The Oak Room in our hotel Sunday. That leaves Friday and Saturday lunches. Heard Sportello is a good choice. Any other lunch spots, maybe Flour Bakery?

Previn Inc.

Supplier to Fine Restaurants.

• 1 month later...

legal seafood (several locations

My favorite restaurant in cambridge is Rendezvous

Midi,Hamersly Bistro, Petite Robert, in Boston

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher