• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you eat your grapefruit?

dcarch

I grew up eating halves with a grapefruitspoon. I now eat them peeled out of hand by the section, as I eat my oranges.

If I were to serve them to others, I might serve halves with grapefruitspoons, if I wanted them as a course, or, I would supreme them for use in a dish.

I'm on Lipitor so I don't eat them anymore.

When I did, I used the Citrus Express quite a bit. Slice the grapefruit in half. Press the grapefruit half cut-side down onto the white arches (see the picture of the Citrus Express at the link). Once pressed down, turn the grapefruit using your hand for one complete revolution. You can see in the linked picture that there's a thin arched serrated blade that that slices the fruit from the rind as you rotate it.

A tip: When you first press the grapefruit down, align the white arches so that the curved metal blade is behind one of the arches. Press the fruit down hard so that you can almost feel the white arches against the rind. This will help get the cutting blade as close to the rind edge as possible.

I don't mind the membranes between the segments (it's fiber) so I don't worry about prying just the segments out of the fruit.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ice cold, cut in half, liberally sprinkled with medium grain sea salt and eaten with a grapefruit spoon. And I must squeeze the leftover juice into my mouth. (salivating)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

While raised with the cut-in-half, attack with grapefruit spoon method, I eventually realized that far too much of the precious juice ended up wasted and/or in my eye. So, ever since I was entrusted with a sharp enough knife I've peeled them and cut supremes. My love of grapefruit is such that somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 way through I usually end up ditching the knife and going at it with my hands, tearing the membranes and pulling away the flesh with my teeth while standing over the sink.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I section grapefruit into supremes. I find it's just the easiest way to really enjoy the fruit. No seeds membranes or spray in the eye. It only takes minutes to section with a good sharp knife. I have two trees in my backyard. When I'm tired of sectioning I will just juice the rest.

Pare off the peel & pith with knife then section out segments into a bowl (supremes) then squeeze all the juice out of the membrane over the sections. If sweetening is needed I'l drizzle on a little real maple syrup.

The Big Cheese

BlackMesaRanch.com

My Blog: "The Kitchen Chronicles"

BMR on FaceBook

"The Flavor of the White Mountains"

I also have a bountiful tree. Every morning I squeeze a half into some club soda as my "morning tonic" - I swear I have not been sick since I started this! I do enjoy them peeled with a knife and sliced (a quickie supreme I suppose). These go into a variety of salads. As kids we were fascinated with those serrated grapefruit spoons but never really enjoyed the taste so much as the "grown up" experience including adding a maraschino cherry half in the center, sprinkling with sugar and broiling.

I also have a bountiful tree. Every morning I squeeze a half into some club soda as my "morning tonic" - I swear I have not been sick since I started this! I do enjoy them peeled with a knife and sliced (a quickie supreme I suppose). These go into a variety of salads. As kids we were fascinated with those serrated grapefruit spoons but never really enjoyed the taste so much as the "grown up" experience including adding a maraschino cherry half in the center, sprinkling with sugar and broiling.

We would drizzle with grenadine syrup.

Starting to wonder if this is sacrilege or something, but I cut it into slices, peel and all, and eat it straight off the pith. Not a lot gets lost in the slicing, and I don't need anything other than my knife...

grapefruit season is almost over ends in June.

We like to half and then cut around each membrane with a grapefruit knife.

Lightly sugar about 1/2 teaspoon per half

Exactly how I grew up eating it. then, squeeze the juice into the spoon, drink, repeat.

Yes, this is right. Although there are variations: with honey is yummy; powdered sugar is fun, too. Or with brown sugar and broiled, with a splash of sherry if being swellegant.

I grew up eating halves with a grapefruitspoon. I now eat them peeled out of hand by the section, as I eat my oranges.

Me too, pretty much. I'd probably still use a grapefruit spoon, because I still have a nice set of them--the same ones I used as a child, and they really are perfect as grapefruit spoons go (narrow, deep, and serrated)--but my wife doesn't have the patience for that method.

I grew up using a grapefruit knife to loosen all the sections before eating with a regular teaspoon. Until I left home and was on my own I never knew dedicated serrated grapefruit spoons existed. That's what I use now; one step, really simple. And I wear my glasses to avoid mishaps. No sugar. My MIL always broils her morning grapefruit with brown sugar.

Actually I don't eat grapefruit at breakfast. When I really crave it is in the late afternoon while I'm slaving over a hot stove. That's when I eat the other half of the one my husband eats in the morning.