• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris recommendations needed

Simon_S

My wife and I will be returning to Paris for a few days at the end of May, and where once upon a time I would have had a list as long as my arm of restaurants to visit, this time I'm just not feeling it. It's partly changing financial circumstances and partly changing tastes, but the days of wallet-busting 3* extravanzas are gone. The more I look at reviews and pictures, though, the more I'm not really craving hearty, rib-sticking bistrot fare either.

Now it's Paris, so I'm sure there's a middle ground of beautiful, elegant-ish food with a light-ish touch that's not outrageously priced. Does anyone have any recommendations in the €100 - €150 for 2 range (wife is pregnant so only one of us will be drinking)?

Also, if we decide to up the ante to €300ish for one night, does anywhere spring to mind? We're staying very near Senderens so that's an option, but reviews seem mixed. We'll be there Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights, so I know that makes things a bit awkward.

As always, any advice gratefully received.

I'll be there in a week and a half, and on my list are the following:

Places I haven't been yet:

Frenchie

Spring

Le Chateaubriand, or their other place, Le Dauphin (wine bar)

Places I'll return to:

Les Cocottes (my favorite meal on my last trip), or Violin d'Ingres (both are Christian Constant)

Le Comptoir

Paul Bert (bistro)

Les Itineraires

L'Atelier Joel Robuchon (have been many times, and I never tire of it)

Simon - Mr. Kim and I will be in Paris May 25th - 27th, so I am very interested in the recommendations that you get. So far the plan is to do our wanderings with Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris in hand and delve into it when we get hungry :laugh: ! Mr. Kim is coming to Ireland in August with his mother and brother and sister, so I may be asking for advice from you!

Daisy - Thanks! I'll use your list in my research!

I will second daisy17 regarding both Les Cocottes and L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, but I will point out (since you mentioned your wife is pregnant) that both feature counter service (though Les Cocottes does have some high-top tables), so they're not the most comfortable of restaurants.

La Régalade Saint Honoré was both very cozy and the menu struck a great balance. There were certainly heartier options, but the light-ish choices were equally, if not more, appealing.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Thanks all, the list is starting to take shape, although it seems that quite a few of these are closed Sunday and Monday. Still, I think we'll have enough to get by...

Any thoughts about Senderens?

PS I'll do my best to steer Mr. Kim in the right direction!

La Régalade Saint Honoré was both very cozy and the menu struck a great balance. There were certainly heartier options, but the light-ish choices were equally, if not more, appealing.

While we enjoyed Le Chateaubriand, our meal at LRSH was that much better.

L'Agrume in the 5th was a standout for us. And we much liked Restaurant Rhino in the 11th..see what a Roman chef can do in Paris!

The Sunday discovery was Epicerie Jeanne A in the 11th as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

LRSH keeps popping up in suggestions from friends and board members alike, so I'll definitely try to take that in. I also think Violon d'Ingres is a must at this stage, and I'd quite like to go to l'Atelier de JR. My wife has actually been there before (alone while on business), but she ordered badly for her tastes so she'd quite like to go back. I'll remind her that it's stools only, but she's a hardy sort!

Now for another question: are any of the lunch deals at the 3* houses worth considering? I know I said I wasn't interested this trip, but..............

• 3 weeks later...
.... beautiful, elegant-ish food with a light-ish touch that's not outrageously priced.

Rino. 4 small-moderately sized courses = 45€ Very beautiful, elegant and completely delicious. Sweet service. Very small; reservations absolutely necessary. ETA Decor is minimum in this almost storefront restaurant. The food is everything.

46 Rue Trousseau

75011 Paris, France

01 48 06 95 85

Subway: Ledru-Rollin

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.