• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best (and Worst) Food Product Placements

I was talking to a marketing/PR friend he other day, and she said that, bar none, the "buy me some peanuts & Cracker Jack" line from "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is, without question, the best product placement in the history of food marketing. She also claimed that the Reese's Pieces in "E.T.," a slot famously turned down by the M&Ms people, is solidly #2.

Wracked my brains but I couldn't challenge her. Perhaps you can.

As for the worst? My money's on poor, poor merlot, getting beaten up throughout "Sideways" and suffering for years as a result....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Dude. Worst food product placement? Have you seen Mac and Me? Well, no, of course you haven't, or else you'd be crouched in a padded cell, hugging yourself and praying for the sweet release of death. But this ET knockoff is notorious for its frequent, heavy-handed product placements. (To give you an idea, the aliens in the movie must drink Coke and eat Skittles to live.)

But it gives me the excuse to post a link to this video, of a scene featuring a dance-off in a McDonalds:

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

This Soap Opera product placement for Chex Mix and Cherrios is astonishingly bad.

Wayne's World was already spoofing this sort of thing back in 1992 with their Pizza Hut bit.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

For worst TV product placements, I think that Top Chef takes the cake -- or, rather, a bowl of tasty Bertolli pasta!

Surely that honor should go to Sandra Lee?!

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Wanted to add that my vote for one of the most brilliant, interwoven product placements in film would be Lost in Translation. "For a relaxing time, make it Suntory time."

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle...not that I have seen it, yet

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association