• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why do you hate your icemaker?

We only drink bottled water @ my house

Why would you do this?

Some people live in areas where the water is virtually undrinkable. I have a wonderful well and don't waste money on bottled water. In our county seat, however, the water tastes so vile that I am unable to swallow it.

WE live in the heart of agriculture area just outside metropolitan Omaha, Nebraska. I can't say for sure but chemical run-off could contribute.. we have a deep ( 200 ft ) well in a large aquifer and supposed to be good, since they say filtration should remove any adverse chemicals. Maybe the company testing had an alter er motive.. but we decided to limit our ingestion any..ole way.

Its good to have Morels

We have a Frigidaire and it makes terrific ice, so I'm happy with that. But, I've never been to a hotel that could make ice worth a shit. Every single one has weak, crappy shizzle-ice that barely cools a drink down before it's gone and needs replacing. Why do they insist on doing this? Even high class joints seem addicted to crappy ice making equipment.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who are good at math and those who aren't.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate my icemaker but I hate icetrays more.

I don't mind the cloudiness as I'm not running a modernist mixology bar out of my home. I just want ice to keep stuff cold.

That said, the shape of my ice is horrible. It is crescent shaped and the curve of the outside fits perfectly against the side of my glasses forming a tiny dam. This causes one to tilt the glass further in order to obtain the liquid which eventually comes rushing over the ice and down one's shirt.

Yes, add me too. Water hitting me in the face is something many can related to with that shaped iced.

I don't use my ice maker often, so they start to absorb some really bad smells. Also hate when the ice sticks together resulting in nothing coming out when I press the cup buttom, except little ice chips.