• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks by Yotam Ottolenghi

DanM

I recently discovered two books by Chef Yotam Ottolenghi though an Amazon suggestion. A brief look at the books show some promise. I was wondering if anyone else on eGullet is familiar with his books or have dined at his restaurants.

Plenty

Ottolenghi

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

When I lived in London, I used Ottolenghi's Islington location to cater several events, as well as dining there once in a while. Great, simple food- often surprising combinations that really celebrate the ingredients. Both of his cookbooks are high on my list to get.

Corinna Heinz, aka Corinna

Check out my adventures, culinary and otherwise at http://corinnawith2ns.blogspot.com/

You can check out the recipes in his weekly Guardian article here.

I love his stuff.

Mick

You beat me to it, Mick!

However, if one uses *this link* you get ALL his Guardian recipes (274 so far) - rather than merely the (204 by today) pure veggie ones.

"Plenty" (consisting mainly of republished Guardian recipes) is all veggie; "Ottolenghi" isn't entirely.

He also has a Blog, but hasn't added any recipes for almost a year ... http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/blog/category/recipes

Searching for Ottolenghi's name within eGullet's Kitchen yields 20 posts with a namecheck.

I stand by my 2008 criticism of the just-too-trendy-to-be-practical layout (and typeface) of "Ottolenghi". That apart, it is tasty stuff.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I love both Ottolenghi's cookbooks. Everything I've made has worked well and been delicious. They're not always easy weeknight meals (lots of ingredients and sometimes a little time consuming) but they're worth the effort. If I could only have ten cookbooks, I think two of them would be by Ottolenghi.

I daresay a few of those 20 posts would be from me - these are two of my very favourite cookbooks. Plenty is my favourite vegetable cookbook of all time, and I make something from it at least couple of times a week. Also a major source for vegetable inspiration..I flip through it for a general idea, and then go off and riff my own recipe. So, well worth the price of admission.

My only two quibbles with his books are:

1. If you followed his recipes to the letter, you would use every pan and pot in your kitchen, unnecessarily, I think. Sometimes, the order of steps makes little sense to me; example - one recipe has you start by toasting 1/4 cup nuts on a sheet pan in a medium oven, turned on specifically for that purpose, before letting them cool and chopping them. Meanwhile, you fry onions in a skillet and proceed. I read that and think, "I'm not heating my oven for 20 minutes and dirtying a sheet pan when I could just toast the nuts for 5 mins first in that same skillet I'm about to use next for the onions!"

Maybe it produces a better flavour to the nuts, I dunno, and doing things in his order (ie concurrently) may save some minutes on the prep but I reckon you'll lose them on the washing up. ;) Anyway, it's a minor quibble, and not something that someone who's got any comfort cooking in their own kitchen will find hard to work around, but now I read the recipe the whole way through, mentally re-order the steps and go from there. There are very few that I like in the order listed, though the end results are undeniably amazing either way.

2. All measurements are metric, weighed, not volumes. Before I got a decent set of kitchen scales, I found this aggravating, but now it's a snap.

I

2. All measurements are metric, weighed, not volumes. Before I got a decent set of kitchen scales, I found this aggravating, but now it's a snap.

Sadly, they did not preserve this for the US edition of Plenty.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science