• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

To line or not to line

Fat Guy

I've never used liners for kitchen shelves or drawers. Yet I notice some people have pads, paper, whatever on every kitchen shelf and in every drawer.

Does this stuff serve a purpose?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've never used liners for kitchen shelves or drawers. Yet I notice some people have pads, paper, whatever on every kitchen shelf and in every drawer.

Yep. It is very helpful. Gives you two surfaces to clean instead of one. :laugh:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I use the waffled-type liners in drawers because I don't like stuff to shift around.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I lined everything with this padded liner. It looks like white thin packing foam. The dishes slide easily, but are padded. You don't scratch the wood interior and you don't chip your fine glasses. Flatware and kitchen tools don't wear the finish off the drawer bottoms. I think if my cabinets were laminate on the inside, I wouldn't bother.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I used it when I rented to avoid a big clean up later, but now I just find it annoying.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I have a few big drawers that I store sautee pans in that I have lined with Dri-Dek. It prevents the drawer from getting knicked up.

I also have it lining my cabinets that I store glasses and mugs in.

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

My partner's ex-wife lined everything with kitchen-floor-vinyl remnants. I hate(d) it. I tear it out as soon as possible (most is gone, now). It curled up at the edges and corners where it wasn't stapled (!) down.

I prefer nekkid shelves and drawers. I use a bit of the non-skid stuff under the flatware trays to keep them from sliding around in the drawers, but don't have anything anywhere else, where I've removed the flooring material.

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

Absolutely: It is particularly important to not anchor it securely, so that when you need to vacuum the shelves, the paper gets sucked up the nozzle and makes horrendous sounds.

Seriously, the only thing in that category that sort of makes sense to me is the plasticated (?) contact 'paper', which makes it easy to wipe down the shelves, if you have things on them that tend to drip. It has to be put down very carefully, or it looks depressing.

Refinishing/painting shelves with washable paint seems like a more effective strategy, though.

Paper, I really don't get.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I use the waffled-type liners in drawers because I don't like stuff to shift around.

Me too. I line shelves that hold glassware, china, etc., that might slide around during an earthquake. I think this saved me a ton of breakage in 1994. In the 1971 quake broken glass and china was ankle deep all over my kitchen and would have been like a mine field if we had needed to walk through it. In '94 the only things that fell to the floor (3) were sitting on the counters and only one vinegar bottle broke.

I buy the stuff in the jumbo rolls sold at Costco or Sam's Club and I also use it to line trays on which I will be carrying china and glassware, etc.

The stuff can be washed in the washer, along with kitchen towels, etc., and goes into the dryer with no heat while I am cleaning the shelves because stuff does sift through the openings.

I have sheets of it on counters under appliances that might be induced to move while operating (VitaMix, stand mixers, Thermomix, bread machines, etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have no use for it. It gets as dirty as the shelf would and since you are not putting wet items in there- why not wipe down the wood shelf or melamine (more frequently) covered shelf. The person here before me put down that waffled stuff and I would pull something towards me and it all wrinkled up. Annoying- I pulled it all out.