• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jersey Royals

Yes the season is here but don't know if like me you find the taste is not the same as you used to get. Now all you seem to find are the semi cleaned ones in supermarkets where are the small bags full of small potatoes covered in seaweed loam that were sold at extortionate prices that didn't matter and you'd sell your mother for.

Today these potatoes I've only seen at high end restaurants (Bibendum, dinner etc) however last year I found this company flowers by post that while shopping for flowers for mothers day which in the UK is the fourth Sunday of Lent I clicked on flower variety and noticed "potatoes"

so as well as flowers (for delivery on the day) ordered a box of potatoes for Mum (and one for myself) as soon as they could be delivered. I also loved being able to tell people I gave my mum potatoes for mothers day. Last year they were as good as I remember, had some loam on them and the taste I remember, that you only seem to get when they have a bit of "dirt" on them.

This year I did the same and they have arrived, they thoughtfully include some pats of Jersey butter and fresh mint just about to put them on.

I have no connection with the company above however it seems to be the only way to get decent Jersey Royals these days (yes I know there are shops and places in London I could get them for a premium but my mum in Wales can't and when they arrived she thought it was one of the best mothers day presents ever, she thought her taste/memory had changed but these were as she remembered)

For a plate of perfect, tiny Jersey royals that were covered in dirt when I got them, I'd happy pay the same per kilo as fillet steak, trouble is you can find the steak but not the tiny Jersey royals.

This is what arrived

IMG_0271.JPG

Sorry I nom'd the cooked ones with butter and mint, before I could take a picture, 1/2 a kilo per person it not to bad is it? Thinking doing the other 1/2 Kilo with broad beans and smoked streaky bacon lardons

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

I tend to think the "not like it used to be" is down to me becoming more forgetful as the years pass by.

That said, I bought a pack in Waitrose yesterday. Not only didnt they taste like they used to, they werent the right waxy texture nor were they the usual kideny shape (not for nothing is the spud sold for home gardening called the International Kidney. Disappointing.

John Hartley

I tend to think the "not like it used to be" is down to me becoming more forgetful as the years pass by.

That said, I bought a pack in Waitrose yesterday. Not only didnt they taste like they used to, they werent the right waxy texture nor were they the usual kideny shape (not for nothing is the spud sold for home gardening called the International Kidney. Disappointing.

I must disagree with you saying ' "not like it used to be" is down to me becoming more forgetful as the years pass by.' I and my mum thought that, but I bet what you bought in Waitrose were semi cleaned, I guess by being blast washed and they were not covered "in dirt" as every jersey royal I've seen in supermarkets in the UK have been for the past few years but get the "dirty ones" and they are as good as your memory. If they don't need a good scrape they don't have the taste.

Now if I can find where to get the tiny ones, covered in dirt ....... (Without pulling in a favour)

Edited by ermintrude (log)

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.