• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your neighborhood NYC grocery store

Fat Guy

I have slowly been exploring the stores within walking distance. I'm actually pretty pleased with what I've found. I wouldn't want to be totally dependent on the local shops, but I'm not. For filling in the gaps in our larger shopping trips to other neighborhoods and outside the city, the local places are unexpectedly decent.

Fine Fare is the closest in terms of footsteps. While it is not the world's greatest store, it is new and clean and the sales are compelling. It is hardly the awful inner-city supermarket one would fear.

The next closest is a place called Central Markets, which is not related to the Central Market company in Texas. I was very surprised at the offerings. Clearly targeting an audience of people with taste. Prices are not great, but again if you shop the sales you can do well.

Finally, the six block walk gets me to a place called Best Yet. This store would be impressive in any neighborhood, I think. I need to do more exploration but my initial gander left me with a great impression.

I have to figure out what there is around here in terms of greenmarkets and such. That season will soon be upon us.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fine Fare is the closest in terms of footsteps. While it is not the world's greatest store, it is new and clean and the sales are compelling. It is hardly the awful inner-city supermarket one would fear.

What's interesting is that over the 7 - 8 years I've lived in this neighborhood (lower east side adjoining Chinatown) our Fine Fare has actually gotten worlds better as the neighborhood has gentrified a bit. It's cleaner now, they offer organic products (at truly outrageous prices), the produce manager does a nice job, etc. etc.

What hasn't changed much is the "service," and the unwillingness of many of the cashiers to even look one in the eyes and say hello. I counter it by always saying hello and asking a question or two along the lines of "How are you?" when I get up to the register. It has changed a bit since management outlawed the use of cell phones by the staff at the registers.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have a Food Emporium across the street. It's awful... Simply awful. If you're ever looking for a bright green/sprouting potato, this is the place to go. I also have a Gristede's downstairs in the building... it's even worse...

Kenneth, I'm going to guess that you're a Murray Hill dweller like myself? That Food Emporium actually has the best produce in the neighborhood, though as you point out that's not saying much. That basement Gristede's is truly awful. I'm closer to the two D'Agostinos up the street, and they are even worse in their selection, although the freshness can be OK (with the emphasis on "OK").

Finding quality meat is another problem. I work downtown, so I get to the excellent West Village butchers when I can, but of course all of them close at 6, so it's nearly impossible to get there after work.

For many ingredients (but not produce), Todaro Bros on Second Ave. is a lifesaver. Also Grand Central Market (but again, not for produce, and emphatically not for meat at Ceriello's either).

Yep... I actually know those D'Ags pretty well - I used to live on 36th and they were the closest thing. Back then the food emporium was actually pretty decent, but their produce quality has gone downhill over the last few years. The selection is ok, if you can find something in the pile that's actually good. A few things in the Gristede's are ok - their herbs are ok because they're constantly being misted. Basically the only things we get from these are paper towels, etc... or emergencies...

I have a friend who frequents Todaro's - although to tell the truth I haven't spent much time there... my impression was that they were overpriced, but had decent quality, with a limited selection. Grand Central market is ok for certain things - at least we have a Murray's Cheese pretty close by... the produce guy has some relatively hard to find things sometimes.

Lately, we've been using Fresh Direct a lot which is really good. And the uptown Fairway can be on my way home from work, which is awesome! The only thing I don't like about FD is the huge amount of waste with the cardboard boxes. I understand using it for people who don't buy from them on a regular basis. But if you buy from them once or twice a week, I wish they had some type of recycling option - using plastic milk crates of some kind? Who knows.. but I'd gladly store a couple of plastic crates until next week to get rid of all the boxes.

The only thing I don't like about FD is the huge amount of waste with the cardboard boxes. I understand using it for people who don't buy from them on a regular basis. But if you buy from them once or twice a week, I wish they had some type of recycling option - using plastic milk crates of some kind? Who knows.. but I'd gladly store a couple of plastic crates until next week to get rid of all the boxes.

Could the cardboard boxes be returned to FD for use again? Heavy, well made, cardboard boxes stand up pretty well and when finally they're beyond more use FD could flatten them and have them picked up by a recyling company. Too many people might find other uses for plastic milk crates and not return them, unless there was a deposit on them.

Back then the food emporium was actually pretty decent, but their produce quality has gone downhill over the last few years. The selection is ok, if you can find something in the pile that's actually good.

Too true. And they had a real butcher counter with pretty high quality aged steaks. Now no butcher counter.

I have a friend who frequents Todaro's - although to tell the truth I haven't spent much time there... my impression was that they were overpriced, but had decent quality, with a limited selection. Grand Central market is ok for certain things - at least we have a Murray's Cheese pretty close by... the produce guy has some relatively hard to find things sometimes.

Todaro's is excellent for sopressata, salame, all the salumi and its cheese is surprisingly good too, even though much of it is plastic-wrapped. Good selection of dry pastas as well. The meat is not bad either, though it is definitely on the expensive side.

I really miss Koglin's German Hams at Grand Central - that place was one-of-a-kind. It's good to have Murray's and Penzeys. Murray's Greek olive oil is my standby.

Btw - for cheese, the counter at Artisanal on 32 St. cannot be beat - that's very close to you. High-end of course, but I think it's actually less expensive than the Murray's in Grand Central for many cheeses, and it may be the best in the city (competes with Saxelby's Cheesemongers and Di Palo's I supposed, but those are more specialized shops).

Lately, we've been using Fresh Direct a lot which is really good.

Fresh Direct is actually good for produce? I ordered when they first opened - maybe I'll give it another try. It scares me when I can't actually pick out fruits and vegetables with my own hands & eyes.

Todaro's is excellent for sopressata, salame, all the salumi and its cheese is surprisingly good too, even though much of it is plastic-wrapped. Good selection of dry pastas as well. The meat is not bad either, though it is definitely on the expensive side.

My friend commonly brings a selection of their salumi and italian cheeses (some aged quite a long time and really good)

I really miss Koglin's German Hams at Grand Central - that place was one-of-a-kind. It's good to have Murray's and Penzeys. Murray's Greek olive oil is my standby.

I've never tried Koglin's... too bad... I usually don't frequent Penzeys because Kalustyan's is right around the corner.. sure they're expensive on some things, but I don't think you can beat them when it comes to spices. Most of my olive oils come from Fairway - they have a great selection of private labeled artisanal olive oils that they bring in in barrels then bottle here. It's great that you can try them before you buy it, too. Plus, they have an extra virgin olive oil that's private labeled that comes in a 3 liter tin that's inexpensive enough to use for every day pan frying... it's even good enough to use on raw applications, but the private bottle stuff is REALLY good. They also have a huge selection of imported name brand oils, but they're expensive. Lastly, when I'm lucky enough for her to bring some, I have a friend who's greek, and her family has a 500 acre olive grove and make their own family labeled olive oil... I'm the luckiest guy on the planet when a shipment comes in and she gives me a bottle... something to be said about freshness and olive oil.

Btw - for cheese, the counter at Artisanal on 32 St. cannot be beat - that's very close to you. High-end of course, but I think it's actually less expensive than the Murray's in Grand Central for many cheeses, and it may be the best in the city (competes with Saxelby's Cheesemongers and Di Palo's I supposed, but those are more specialized shops).

Oh yes, I know Artisanal very well... They're definitely not less expensive than Murrays (I've comparison shopped quite a few times on some of the cheeses that they both carry). It's also frustrating depending on who you get behind the counter. There's a french lady there who is so dismissive - I'll ask for something specific, and she'll offer me something else saying "it's the same" with the air of I-know-better-than-you... when in fact, I know they're not the same - in fact they're quite different... like comparing a bleu d'auvergne to a roquefort.. besides the fact that the roquefort is an AOC, it has a completely different flavor profile - much sharper, saltier, and more metallic for lack of a better word. Then there was another guy there who would constantly try to push domestic cheeses when I specifically wanted a french one (which they had in stock and at a nice ripeness btw)... Every time, I'd get the same answer "well, if you want that, you should REALLY get this one from wisconsin, it's much better" which first of all, to use "better" when it comes to a subjective thing like taste is problematic, and plus after tasting his suggestion, I'd never be a fan of it... not that it was a bad cheese, but not to my taste... sorry, that's my Artisanal rant... and for all the ranting, I'm going for dinner there tonight... so take it for what it's worth!

Fresh Direct is actually good for produce? I ordered when they first opened - maybe I'll give it another try. It scares me when I can't actually pick out fruits and vegetables with my own hands & eyes.

I typically find their produce comparable if not better than Whole Foods... at first I felt the same way as you, but their produce is consistently very good - which I guess it would have to be since you can't pick through it like you could in a store. Plus, they have air chilled organic chicken for a decent price, and I don't have to lug it home from 14th street.

The only thing I don't like about FD is the huge amount of waste with the cardboard boxes. I understand using it for people who don't buy from them on a regular basis. But if you buy from them once or twice a week, I wish they had some type of recycling option - using plastic milk crates of some kind? Who knows.. but I'd gladly store a couple of plastic crates until next week to get rid of all the boxes.

Could the cardboard boxes be returned to FD for use again? Heavy, well made, cardboard boxes stand up pretty well and when finally they're beyond more use FD could flatten them and have them picked up by a recyling company. Too many people might find other uses for plastic milk crates and not return them, unless there was a deposit on them.

Their boxes are definitely in good enough shape to be able to be reused, but I don't think they take them back. I haven't directly asked their management, but their drivers don't accept them. I agree about the plastic crates though - but I'd be happy to put down a deposit to not have to deal with all the boxes.

It has been my experience at Murray's that they will try to push the cheese they need to get rid of. I don't like that their counter set up precludes your being able to actually see what you are buying. More than once I have bought cheese there for a gift and then discovered that it was past its prime when opened.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Strange... I've never experienced that before with them - but I'm usually very specific in what I'm looking for, and unless it's a small whole cheese, I'll ask to taste it first.. but more often than not, they offer me a sample without me even asking. That way I know what I'm getting. Plus, I've found most the people behind the counter are pretty knowledgable, and give you a straight answer if you ask about the ripeness - and they'll also ask when you plan on using it. So one time I was shopping for a party that night and one of the cheeses I was looking for would have been fine if I was using it in a few days, but not ripe enough yet for that night.