• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Modernist Cuisine" Owners

JBailey

Finally got mine in Buenos Aires. It actually arrived a week and a half ago but the note from the post office said I had a package from Germany that weighed less than a kilo. I thought before I'd try and brave the byzantine postal system, I'd wait for the book. I finally gave in and discovered that it was indeed my copy! Yay.

Well, 3 hours in the post office trying to pick it up and out I go lugging a bright yellow bag from Deutschepost with my book... (Why Germany? No idea...)

But as I am carrying this valuable looking package I couldn't help daydreaming what would happen if I was mugged.

I kept getting flashes of someone running (ok slowly dragging) away my prize as I shouted after them forlornly, like the old twilight zone episode, "No! It's a cookbook!"

But thankfully no more drama and I am happily home with it.

(home cook with intense curiousity... ordered in July from Amazon and it went out in the first batch.)

Based out of North Vancouver, Canada. Books came last week and in a moment of online terror, were left alone at our front door without a signature. This is despite the big sticker announcing the package cost on the side plus the "signature required" delivery service. Luckily, I got my neighbour to come over and protect it for me. I have a biochem and medical background with home cooking as a hobby and stomach pleaser. The MC is one of the most pleasurable textbooks to read (and for long periods of time).

Edited by mcdiarmid (log)

Seattle, WA

Technology Exec.

Amateur cook who does the occasional pro-am charity event.

Trivia: When I was an undergrad I was an intern at Microsoft in the group that had been Nathan's company before MSFT bought them.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I'm doing my first post to this board too. I'm a home cook, an MD, a scientist and living on the border of VT and NH. My modernist interest began with Harold MacGee long ago. I check the modernist topic everyday and I am beginning experiments with cooking under pressure.

VAM & MCDIARMID

Welcome out of the sidelines into posting! I am certain all here will appreciate your comments, ideas and adventures.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

RICARDOVANEDE

Glad you are here contributing also!

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

Atlanta -- amateur home cook.

I've been cooking sous vide for about 2 years and like many others discovered egullet in my search for sous vide info. My interest in MC is equal parts interest in modernist techniques and just good old fashioned geekery.

And yes, the modernist mac and cheese is the business!

I'd be interested to know if anyone in China has had it delivered, I'm not sure what customs would make of the huge block of books? Also, anyone had any marital problems after their spouse discovered how much you paid for it? :wacko:

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?

Columbus.

Home cook. Been playing with sous-vide since Keller published a recipe years ago that was a play on sole veronique which called for poaching a sole packet with a raisin stuffing.

Ordered my copy in July, got it at the very beginning of March. Mostly been using it to dial into specifics like exact time/temps for butter-poached lobster or veg.

A.

I'd be interested to know if anyone in China has had it delivered, I'm not sure what customs would make of the huge block of books? Also, anyone had any marital problems after their spouse discovered how much you paid for it? :wacko:

My spouse doesn't know how much they cost and I'm not telling!

I'm making my first trip to China next February and will be spending time in Beijing. Would you mind if I asked for food suggestions as my trip gets closer?

Edited by AnneN (log)

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Welcome! Now we know there are at least two copies in Spain - yours and the copy left at Can Roca as an after dinner gift for the Roca's by Nathan when he had Steven (Fat Guy) lug them across the cobblestones to the kitchen during the fabled and documented grand elBulli tour!

Suburban Detroit here. I'm a complete amateur cook, but more practiced in pastry and chocolate (I'm mostly active in Baking and Pastry). I have a passion for the "What and Why" of things and collect knowledge as a hobby so I HAD to have this once I learned enough about it. I've got "Alinea" (though I've only made the bacon-thyme-apple thing so far), "The Curious Cook", "Cookwise", "On Food and Cooking" and others like that. I have many professional pastry books that I am working on, but MC will ensure I devote some of my time to the savory side. I am sure my wife will be happy when I read the food safety chapter as she accuses me of keeping stuff too long in the refrigerator.

I also have two German Shepherds and just got back from a long trip so I won't be going anywhere for some time.

Welcome! Now we know there are at least two copies in Spain - yours and the copy left at Can Roca as an after dinner gift for the Roca's by Nathan when he had Steven (Fat Guy) lug them across the cobblestones to the kitchen during the fabled and documented grand elBulli tour!

I also expect Ferran to have a copy since he wrote the foreword, but being close to Ferran & Roca in any list sounds good :smile:

My spouse doesn't know how much they cost and I'm not telling!

I'm making my first trip to China next February and will be spending time in Beijing. Would you mind if I asked for food suggestions as my trip gets closer?

Sorry AnneN but I normally cook at home so I can't help too much. If I have visitors I normally take them for; roast duck, Mongolian hot pot and Korean barbeque, that's about all I could tell you. There are some others who frequent this site who could help you I'm sure, start a thread? There was one a few months ago about roast duck.

There's a 'cooking school' here called Black Sesame Kitchen. It's a tiny little place in an old hutong area that does classes for foreigners and they have open dinners once or twice-a-week. That might be a fun thing to do, especially if you don't speak the language. They have a web site.

Maybe I would have more friends if I didn't eat so much garlic?