• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a gelling agent that can stand up to intense heat?

Alex Parker

I think low acyl gellan stays stable at high temps -although I think the gel will dry out. A while ago, we had a discussion in the cooking issues forums of how to keep the bones of a frenched rack of lamb white - the concensus was to dip in a gellan solution. Then, after grilling or searing, you can crack off the gellan like dried clay.

Here's the link to the discussion: http://www.cookingissues.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21

ETA link...

Edited by KennethT (log)

Wow, grilled? That's asking a lot. How do starch gels behave at those extreme temps? Something like the deep-fried custard in Modernist Cuisine p. 4•120?

I think starch gels are likely the way to go: just think of grilled polenta, which is basically a starch gel, isn't it?

I thought of gellan, too, since I though I recalled reading that LA gellan gels don't melt, but MC lists it as having a melting temperature between 80°C and 140°C.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara