• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mary Jane Candies

catdaddy

My wife recently got cravings for mary jane candies. It is something she loved as a child so is a bit of a comfort snack to her. Amazon to the rescue as she could not find them in any local stores.

Upon eating the first one she declared " There's no peanut butter in the middle. The old ones had a center of sweet peanut butter."

Does anyone remember a luscious PB center back in the 70's?

Probably looking for the Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses that come out for Halloween in the orange & black wrappers. The regular ones have always been taffy-like.

Here is a link about them:

http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/mary_jane_peanut_butter_kisses/

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

These are one of my favorite candies - I eat them a lot! They do have a small tunnel of PB in them still, but I don't think that it is a much as there used to be when I was younger. If they are kind of cold and you can almost break them apart longways, you can see the tiny bit of PB.

Here's a link to an online store that sells the black & orange "Peanut Butter Kisses"(click).

There's also a local ice cream & candy store here where I live called Dewar's that sells taffy chews. They have peanut butter chews (click here) that are wonderfully peanut butter-y. It's like a strip of peanut butter inside the oblong taffy chew.

They have some new flavors that rock, too (the Pistachio and the Caramel Pistachio are my new fav's).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver