• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dipped Creams

rebgold

We make various flavored dipped creams at my shop, the recipe has been handed down from a very old recipe and I think something has been lost in the re-typing of the old owners.

It starts with a sugar, water, corn syrup mix, cooked then poured into the ball mixer, we add fondax, invert sugar and flavorings, let it sit for a day, then roll it into little balls. The problem is, the balls are too soft to dip well. I tried raising the cooking temp from 244 to 250, the whole mix became hard and impossible to roll. I though if I had added more fondax it may have helped, but it was too late by the time I realized.

Does anyone have any experience with this time of center? Any suggestions on how to get it the right consistency to roll and dip?

Thanks,

Reb

Reb

• 2 weeks later...

I actually tried 2 different temps and then decided to go back to the original temp and try a different approach. I cut the fondax by 8 oz instead. The consistency for rolling the centers is much better, but now we have a different problem. The original recipe used invert sugar, the last confectioner had switched to invertase and changed the amount used. We've switched back to invert sugar but I think we need to increase the amount because the centers, now that they're firm enough to roll, are not really softening up once dipped. This is a tough experiment because of the waiting time for the finished product and the quantity of creams we dip- it's a lot.

Any opinion on how much to decide to increase the invert sugar to get them to soften?

Reb

I actually tried 2 different temps and then decided to go back to the original temp and try a different approach. I cut the fondax by 8 oz instead. The consistency for rolling the centers is much better, but now we have a different problem. The original recipe used invert sugar, the last confectioner had switched to invertase and changed the amount used. We've switched back to invert sugar but I think we need to increase the amount because the centers, now that they're firm enough to roll, are not really softening up once dipped. This is a tough experiment because of the waiting time for the finished product and the quantity of creams we dip- it's a lot.

Any opinion on how much to decide to increase the invert sugar to get them to soften?

How about using the invert sugar but adding some invertase as well? I find invert sugar good for shelf life - but think that the invertase enzyme is necessary to cause the softening after dipping.

Would you think equal amounts? I think it's about an oz per batch of invert sugar.

That is not much invert sugar. Are you sure it isn't the measurement for invertase? If I remember correctly, Fondax is egg white based. If so, it will cause a softening. I think you need to go back and try a different cook temp. Find a recipe that has similar ingredients and check the percentages.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

The ounce was the original amount as far as we know, but it's an ounce for a batch that makes about 10 lbs of filling. Fondax is albumen protein based, right. I can't find any recipes quite like it anywhere, I've been looking.

Reb