• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Good places for dinner around the Niagara Falls area

FoodMan

I would really appreciate some solid recommendations for the Niagra Falls area. Preferably something unique as opposed to a run-of-the-mill tourist joint. Any suggestions? P

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Depending on what you want to eat there are a couple of decent places near the falls. My wife and I and our friends had a very good meal at Remington's of Niagara a few years ago.I am not sure if they are still doing the Top of clifton Hill and turn right . If you want some of the best woodfired pizza anywhere in Ontario , not just niagara falls. Try Antica pizza, top of clifton hill and turn left. I can't remember the cross street name sorry. It is on the right hand side and has a outside patio that is nice when the weather is good.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

How far from Niagara Falls are you willing to travel? My first recommendation right now would be Treadwell, and there are lots of great options at the various wineries in the region. Don't know about Niagara Falls itself, though.

No more than 20 minute drive or so.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

We did a getaway in Feb. with the Oakes Hotel in NF Ontario. It included dinner at Remington's and the other night we went to Antica. Both were nice,good tasty food. I really liked the set-up/open kitchen with pizza oven at Antica and the staff was really nice.

If you are interested our hotel deal also included free wine tastings at 4 wineries which we really enjoyed. A couple of those places have dinners in very upscale restaurants on the property but they are up toward Niagara on the Lake, farther than you were wanting to go

Last time I was there (back in 2000) a friend suggested a short drive to the town of Niagara On the Lake to dine at the Queens Landing hotel - http://www.vintage-hotels.com/queenslanding/dining.htm

It was an excellent suggestion. The drive there, along the Niagara Parkway, was lovely. If you like icewine, along the way you can visit Inniskillin. The town of Niagara On the Lake itself is very picturesque. And the food at Queens Landing was very good.

All in a very worthwhile short trip, both for sightseeing and dining.

If you're going as far as Niagara on the Lake - the restaurant at Hillebrand Estates Winery is excellent and well as the mentioned Treadwell and Tony DeLuca's. There is a casual place called Olde Winery restaurant doing trattoria style food with a nice wine list and a great bar. My go to spot after a long day at the wineries.

• 1 year later...

We had lunch at Treadwell's today. Wow. A beautiful space, attentive service and really delicious food, all locally sourced. I had a brunch dish of Eggs Benedict with spinach, made with luscious local ham and a sensational hollandaise, very bright with fresh lemon. The hub had roast pork belly with a deep dark mustard jus, sprinkled with coriander cress from the garden Mmmmm. I had a local sparkling rose that was delicious and hub had a deep dark piney red from Pelham Estates. Finished with a peach crumble from peach trees just down the road and a tangy sour cream ice cream We left feeling cared for, with that lovely glow that comes from a wonderful dining experience Perfect.

• 3 months later...

I love this area.

Without a doubt check out Wellington Court. Its right across the street from me, and its unreal. As well theres a little known place on Queen Street in St Catharines called Toi, thats amazing as well. Well worth the visit. For good Italian, my friend Bill is the exec at a great little place on Church street called La Scala. Its tiny, only 30 seats, and the food is lovely. I wont recommend Treadwells as hes a tyrant in the kitchen and well past his prime In my opinion.

alexP

• 1 year later...

Any updates would be welcome. We are visiting for a couple of nights in the summer and would be interested in some recommendations. Given the limited amount of time we will have and that we will not have a car anything close by / short cab journey would be welcome.

Thanks

Andrew

We had lunch at Treadwell's today. Wow. A beautiful space, attentive service and really delicious food, all locally sourced. I had a brunch dish of Eggs Benedict with spinach, made with luscious local ham and a sensational hollandaise, very bright with fresh lemon. The hub had roast pork belly with a deep dark mustard jus, sprinkled with coriander cress from the garden Mmmmm. I had a local sparkling rose that was delicious and hub had a deep dark piney red from Pelham Estates. Finished with a peach crumble from peach trees just down the road and a tangy sour cream ice cream We left feeling cared for, with that lovely glow that comes from a wonderful dining experience Perfect.

I was wondering if anyone had posted about Treadwell's, and sure enough, here it is! I had an outstanding lunch today -- and for $25 prix fixe for three substantial courses, it's a ridiculous bargain. They may not offer it over the summer, though so YMMV.

First course = 18 "Steamed PEI mussels with Fennel Pollen Cream and Preserved Lemon" (and three large and crispy toasts). Also available was a green salad with Monforte (a dairy in Stratford) feta and sliced apple.

Second course = "Breakfast" -- two fried eggs, two (or maybe three) rashers of thick-cut bacon, a bit of maple baked beans, and fried bread. Also available were a brioche french toast and a beef plate with corned beef hash, Ontario beef brisket, potatoes, and a poached egg with Hollandaise.

Third course = three ice creams: root beer, vanilla bean, and sweet cream with chocolate-caramel swirls, accompanied by a brown butter Madeleine. Also available was an espresso pot de creme with caramelized hazelnuts and Madelines.

Service was efficient w/o being obtrusive, and friendly w/o being obsequious. The only downside was that it's a small room with an open kitchen, so if the place is busy, there's some unavoidable cooking odor--but less than I've experienced in similar ones.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer