• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue and Grilling Accessories

weinoo

Yesterday, I happened to stop into Crate & Barrel, and right there by the front door was the "new" Weber. It was one of those Webers that sits within it's own cart, and costs a lot more than a "regular" Weber, yet does essentially the same thing.

Now, one of the things that always annoyed me about a Weber was the grill. Skinny metal that really never gave you good grill marks. Then, about 10 years ago, Weber actually offered a cast-iron grill as an accessory. I excitedly told all my Weber friends about it, and a few even bought one - I think it was available for one season.

By the way, I don't own a Weber and haven't had a grill or barbecue for over 16 years - but it doesn't stop my from lusting after one or cajoling my friends into using theirs for a day of grilling and/or barbecuing.

But back to that Weber by the front door. Upon closer inspection, that Weber offered a grill with a removable center portion that could be replaced by a cast-iron grill insert or a cast-iron comal. Genius at work! I just checked and it's not even up on their web site.

But beyond this, what are your personal favorite grill or barbecue accessories? And what don't they make that you wish they would?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The "accessories" I use most are not dedicated grilling accessories: my leather welding gloves, my Thermapen, and the long-handled tongs. But I very much like Paul Bacino's grilltop griddle with handles!

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I actually have the old style grate with the rectangular cast iron insert that quite a few people have referenced in the past. I love it but it is a royal pain to keep seasoned and rust free (leaving it in the grill after use isn't a good idea :huh: )

This new iteration might be only offered through C&B? Not sure what I think about the round center insert but it might be easier to have the hot zone there instead of off to one side. I'll pick one of these up anyway and maybe use the ring from my WSM to hold the coals in the center hot zone....

New grate

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Me too! When i was in grilling mode, I had a beautiful Char-Broil high-end grill. Cast-iron grates, firebox that you could raise and lower, etc. One of my favorite accessories were those exact same gloves! And a rotisserie, of course.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I actually have the old style grate with the rectangular cast iron insert that quite a few people have referenced in the past. I love it but it is a royal pain to keep seasoned and rust free (leaving it in the grill after use isn't a good idea :huh: )

This new iteration might be only offered through C&B? Not sure what I think about the round center insert but it might be easier to have the hot zone there instead of off to one side. I'll pick one of these up anyway and maybe use the ring from my WSM to hold the coals in the center hot zone....

New grate

That's the one - I guess it's a C&B exclusive.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

(And just as a side note, to all of you that have welder's gloves... They're great for rearranging hot logs in your fireplace, too.)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.