• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions For First Sous Vide Attempts

Markm

My sous vide equipment arrives tomorrow, but my copy of Modernist Cuisine is still in transit. So I'm going to want to try this out before having time to do all the study I'd like. I've been following the various topics on eG but was wondering if anyone might share recipes best designed for the sous vide newbie?

My first (successful) experiments were eggs, fillet steak, and salmon fillet.

The eggs were cooked whole for 45 minutes at 66c and served on buttered toast.

The steak was cooked at 52c for 3hours and then finished in a hot skillet.

The salmon fillet was brined in a 10% solution for 10 minutes then cooked for 30 minutes at 52c.

All of these convinced me of the value of sous vide, and were uncomplicated recipes, ideal for a first try!

If when you die you get a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not, mmmboy.

Scallops! Sous vide was made for scallops!

Season with S&P and seal with a little pat of butter - go 35 minutes at 50.5c then drop them and a super hot pan to sear for just a few seconds.

OMG the texture is heavenly-

jen

Can you eat that?

I think the most dramatic thing I've served out of the sous vizzler is short ribs. 72 hours at 55Cish should do the trick, then pull them out and sear them in a hot pan to give them a nice crust.

Tagging along here.....as I was pricing Sous Vide Supremes online last week my wife told me "STOP IT!" because she already planned to get me one as an early bday gift.

Other than playing around with David Chang’s “Ghetto Sous Vide” method with cuts of beef like flat irons and strips, I’m very new to this as well.

Quick question after seeing this done on a Food Network show- are there any specific cuts of meat or situations that would benefit from searing prior to SV? Top Chef winner Ilan did it with a brisket at his restaurant in L.A., and I was just wondering how practical it was. Sliced brisket wouldn’t have the surface area of something like shortribs (which benefit more from a post-bath sear for the good texture and caramelization), so just wondering if anyone has played around with that method.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I think the most dramatic thing I've served out of the sous vizzler is short ribs. 72 hours at 55Cish should do the trick, then pull them out and sear them in a hot pan to give them a nice crust.

Ribs in general are amazing. I do baby back ribs at 155 for 24-30 hours and they're amazing. Probably my favorite sous-vided dish so far.

The best thing I've cooked Sous Vide was Ox Cheeks at 60C for 3 days. Simple rub with a mixture of crushed garlic, Dijon mustard, chopped thyme seal and off you go. Pork belly is another good one.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

The best thing I've cooked Sous Vide was Ox Cheeks at 60C for 3 days. Simple rub with a mixture of crushed garlic, Dijon mustard, chopped thyme seal and off you go. Pork belly is another good one.

3 days for ox cheek?!?

that's commitment!

did you sauce them?

Can you eat that?

3 days for ox cheek?!?

that's commitment!

did you sauce them?

Used the juices from the bag to make a sauce, and beleve me it's worth the wait. I tend to get as many cheeks as I can when I find them and do them individually in bags. I can then freeze and when needed 1hr at 60C and they're ready to eat.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

3 days for ox cheek?!?

that's commitment!

did you sauce them?

Used the juices from the bag to make a sauce, and beleve me it's worth the wait. I tend to get as many cheeks as I can when I find them and do them individually in bags. I can then freeze and when needed 1hr at 60C and they're ready to eat.

I have bought these and they are awesome: http://www.marxfoods.com/Kobe-Beef-Cheeks?sc=2&category=9781

Can you eat that?

Any steak works well, that's what I did first. A quick sear in a very hot cast iron pan once it's done, delish!

I also love to make pork chops in there. I don't usually like them, as they tend to get a bit gummy, at least the supermarket ones, but done SV they stay very juicy and tender. Quick sear again.

I've only made fish in it once so far (kids aren't that much into fish right now) and that was not so good, but I think it was my mistake. It was frozen and once thawed I took it out of it's store bag, leaving a lot of liquid behind. Turned out a bit dry. Cooked right, but not juicy as it should be. Next time I'll either cook it in the bag it came in and season later, or repack it with seasoning while still frozen, so I don't loose any of the liquid.

I've not made eggs so far, I'm working on getting poaching (traditional) right or just scramble them (kids like it) right now.

Chicken breast also works very well and does not dry out, I'd do that as one of the first things as well.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Jen Rehm,

That is a nice link.. I might have to get a combo pk!!

Beef and Pork

Yikes

Paul

all of their product is really high quality. Did you see the bluefish cheeks? talk about a serious surf and turf (or cheek to cheek)

Can you eat that?

• 5 months later...

Chicken breast is incredible cooked sous vide (145F for 1 hour). It has a transformed texture unlike any other way of cooking chicken breast. Also baby back ribs cooked 155F for 30 hours is "fall of the bones" fantastic. Just season with your favorite BBQ sauce and drop it in. Sear on the grill when done.

Artie

Silicon Valley Sous Vide Home Chef

The Art and Presentation of Sous Vide

www.siliconvalleysousvide.shutterfly.com