• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating our Way to Lancaster, PA

Beth Wilson and I headed out yesterday to make our way to the PMCA in Lancaster, PA. In previous years the PMCA (Pennsylvania Manufacturing Confectioners Association) meeting has always been held in Hershey - but there was a problem with the Hershey Lodge this year and the opportunity to move to Lancaster was grabbed.

We left very early yesterday morning - a quick stop at Tim Horton's for coffee and tea and we were on the road at 0700.

DSCN2780.jpg

We had lunch in a family restaurant off the highway around Danville, PA. We were getting a little peckish and weren't anticipating the best food - but were pleasantly surprised by the pulled pork sandwich on offer as one of the specials. Sauce was fabulous, wonderful coleslaw - and really crunchy fries.

DSCN2803.jpg

We made a stop where we always do - at a little antique/junkque store in Williamsport - where we have picked up some great little kitchen goodies over the years. This year it was to discover that they are closing - and everything was being cleared out - so we grabbed a few things that for half price were a good deal. As you can see there is a little bit of seasoning to be done on the cast iron.

Our reason for heading out so early was to arrive in Shillington, PA in time to hit Fred's Music and BBQ before it closed.

DSCN2783.jpg

As we came through the door they were preparing for a BBQ contest and before we'd even had a chance to say hi to Fred they pressed a chicken thigh into our hands - very lovely - it had been brined in lime, tequila and demerara sugar - then sauced with Fred's own sauce and honey. This is their first contest - will be interesting to see how they do.

Cost us a bit to get back out the door!

DSCN2806.jpg

Beth's stuff.

DSCN2808.jpg

My stuff.

DSCN2799.jpg

Dinner was a collection of stuff we picked up at the grocery store - eaten while in our PJ's in our hotel room. Some Ak Mak crackers, Cabot herbed cheese, avocado hummus and boccacini with sundried tomatoes in oil.

Headed off to meet with Lancastermike and his delightful wife to have lunch today. We met at Annie Bailey's Irish Pub.

We each had a bowl of the onion soup.

DSCN2785.jpg

DSCN2787.jpg

I opted for the eggs benedict.

DSCN2788.jpg

Beth for the fish and chips.

DSCN2790.jpg

Mike - an omelet.

DSCN2791.jpg

And Maggie - the cracked pepper turkey and aged gouda panini.

DSCN2810.jpg

Gifts were exchanged and we came away with some of Mike's preserves, some really nice chips cooked in lard (which I have to stop eating!!!!) and some excellent local pretzels.

After lunch Beth and I headed off to find a BBQ store a few miles out of town (which was closed on Sunday unfortunately) then we took a rather circuitous route around most of Pennsylvania in search of a town called Manheim. My GPS acknowledged the town existed - but refused to take us there. Finally we ran across a highway sign - and that in combination with a discussion with a man on a horse on the side of the road - we made our way to Joboy's Brew Pub to get takeaway BBQ for our dinner. It came highly recommended by lancastermike - and he was spot on!

Beth enjoyed a Manheim Red beer while we waited for the food.

DSCN2792.jpg

DSCN2797.jpg

A mixed BBQ platter - chicken, brisket and ribs. For sides we chose slaw in a hot tomatoey sauce and fried okra with horseradish dressing.

If you're still there, head just a bit east on Rt. 30 to Ronks to Diener's Restaurant. (It's next to the Dutch Village, which you do not want to go to for food.) It's a Mennonite buffet place, all you can eat dinner for $9.99 (or was it $8.99) -- but they close at 6P.M. on weekdays (farmers go to bed early). Home grown veggies and real country PA Dutch food, but not one of the tourist trap chains. Breakfast is all you can eat for $7.99 and stupendous -- great bacon and eggs, but also scrapple and creamed chipped beef. Old fashioned good stuff. It's a real favorite.

If you're still there, head just a bit east on Rt. 30 to Ronks to Diener's Restaurant. (It's next to the Dutch Village, which you do not want to go to for food.) It's a Mennonite buffet place, all you can eat dinner for $9.99 (or was it $8.99) -- but they close at 6P.M. on weekdays (farmers go to bed early). Home grown veggies and real country PA Dutch food, but not one of the tourist trap chains. Breakfast is all you can eat for $7.99 and stupendous -- great bacon and eggs, but also scrapple and creamed chipped beef. Old fashioned good stuff. It's a real favorite.

Thanks for the heads up. We may be heading to Prudhommes Lost Cajun kitchen tomorrow night - but everything is negotiable!

If you don't mind taking a short drive a visit to Green Meadow Farm in Gap, PA might be interesting. Green Meadow provides a great deal of the fresh produce and herbs for many of Philadelphia's high end restaurants. They're super nice folks that are very green in their thinking and farming practices. If you call for an appointment ask for Ian Brendle and tell him I sent you. It's a lovely farm that does good work.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Maggie and I were very happy indeed to meet Kerry and Beth and share lunch and a wonderful conversation with them. They brought us a lovely bottle of Niagara Peninsula Ice Wine and some hand made maple syrup. We were thrilled to receive such a gift.

We sent out intrepid travelers out into the wilderness of Lancaster County on a Q hunt. The store was closed but i am happy they found Manheim and Joboys. By far the best Q in the area. Since they had made it from Canada I was never worried that they would get lost in Lancaster. I passed along the knowledge I had of spots to eat and we talked about many things, food and otherwise.

Safe travels and good eats to Kerry and Beth as they journey home with their haul of stuff. Perhaps some others can come up with some tips of places between here and Canada for our travelers.

Off early this morning to the PMCA. The topic this morning in the back to basics sessions covered emulsifiers in chocolate, enrobing, depositing and machine molding. It was very entertaining - learned a couple of new things.

In the afternoon was the trade show - great for ideas and to talk with various vendors about obtaining samples. If the samples arrive - there should be all sorts of interesting things to play with for our chocolate conference and all sorts of molecular ingredients!

DSCN2812.jpg

These are some chunks of sponge toffee, enrobed in chocolate and dusted with a mica product called interference powder. They had done this to a number of other items - gummy bears, malted milk balls, chunks of chocolate.

DSCN2815.jpg

Following lancastermike's advice we hit La Dolce Vita Italian Bakery just around the corner from the convention center for a bite this afternoon.

I mentioned to the owner that I didn't realize Hammentachen was Italian. She thought I was serious! It was quite tasty. Beth had the chocolate horn.

There is always a bunch of candy laid out on plates for the conference - and of course we have to pick through it at the end of the session and bring a bunch of stuff home for friends and neighbours.

DSCN2819.jpg

My haul.

DSCN2821.jpg

Beth's haul.

DSCN2825.jpg

Sitting in the trunk of the car right now - there is an older mini Big Green egg that had been living in the garage at my cousins home in Pittsburg and which she dropped off last night on her way home from Philidelphia.

DSCN2826.jpg

And a new Hillard's Little Dipper for Beth's store. Well, not totally new - used once as a demo at the trade show.

For dinner tonight we drove out to Columbia, PA to have dinner at Prudhomme's Lost Cajun kitchen. Owned by a nephew of Paul Prudhomme. I wasn't the one having a glass of wine - but from the pictures you'd think I was. There wasn't a lot of light - and I forever forget to put my glasses on when I'm taking a picture.

DSCN2829.jpg

We shared seafood gumbo.

DSCN2831.jpg

Jambalaya.

DSCN2833.jpg

"BBQ shrimp" - which appeared to be the trinity, with some sauteed shrimp and a very nice, hot vinegary BBQ sauce.

DSCN2837.jpg

And a little number called Crabby Whoopie Pie. A sweet cornmeal muffin, filled with crab, with a 'golden mushroom sauce' on the side.

If you don't mind taking a short drive a visit to Green Meadow Farm in Gap, PA might be interesting. Green Meadow provides a great deal of the fresh produce and herbs for many of Philadelphia's high end restaurants. They're super nice folks that are very green in their thinking and farming practices. If you call for an appointment ask for Ian Brendle and tell him I sent you. It's a lovely farm that does good work.

Thanks for this Katie - doesn't look like we'll have time this trip but we'll keep it in mind for next year.

What an adventure! You two sure know how to travel, Kerry. Are you coming back through the Finger Lakes?

Not sure how we are coming home - we'll get in the car, set the GPS for Buffalo so we can have dinner with Patris and hit every interesting place that time allows on the way.

We tend to go for thrift stores - last year I came home with two mission tables/cupboards from and antique type stores.

So far in thrift stores on this trip I've found a neat little item that will help fish large spheres out of the calcium chloride solution and a dolsot for making bibimbap.

Oh yeah - and thanks lancastermike - I've now got 4 bags of Good's potato chips (cooked in lard) in the car for my husband! Yup, for my husband - I won't be eating them... and I really mean that...

What an adventure! You two sure know how to travel, Kerry. Are you coming back through the Finger Lakes?

Not sure how we are coming home - we'll get in the car, set the GPS for Buffalo so we can have dinner with Patris

Well you certainly have given me quite the task - finding a resto that can compete with all the great stuff you've already enjoyed!

Patty

Beth and I started the morning with a Fage yogurt with honey - a couple of cups of tea for me, then some coffee for the road.

Lunch was in Shamiken Dam, PA at Skeeters same place we hit on the way home last year.

DSCN2840.jpg

Here's the view out the windows.

DSCN2842.jpg

Unsweetened tea to start.

DSCN2839.jpg

We shared brisket, ribs and pulled pork - as you can see there appears to be a BBQ theme to this years trip.

DSCN2843.jpg

DSCN2850.jpg

We arrived in Buffalo to meet Patris for dinner around 6 - Mezza was the choice. And a very good choice it turned out to be.

DSCN2855.jpg

Lebne.

DSCN2856.jpg

Hummus.

DSCN2857.jpg

Falafel.

DSCN2860.jpg

Mujahdarrah.

DSCN2865.jpg

Kibbeh.

DSCN2866.jpg

Calamari.

The car still contains most of our stuff - I'm off to work first thing but later in the evening hopefully we can get it all out.

There is no place like home!!!

Not since Lewis & Clark have two travelers embarked on such an epic journey. It is good to know that Kerry and Beth have arrived safely home. It is also comforting to know that one can take lard cooked chips across the border without some sort of pork fat duty or tariff.

Thanks Kerry and Beth for the visit, we enjoyed it.

Edited by lancastermike (log)

One thing I have learned traveling with Kerry is she will always take the side roads to find the most amazing food. It will be sad to return to the Island where most of the restaurants will still be closed for the season. The tourists and cottagers don't return North until May. I am hoping the snow has melted away at home so I can get the hiking boots out to work off a few of those Pennsylvania Pretzels and chips.

Thanks for introducing us to some great food finds Lancastermike! I can't wait til next year!

Patris - It was great to sit down to a great dinner to end the trip! What did we do before Egullet brought some really great people together?