• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: haresfur (2011) - not exactly bush tucker

I'm enjoying your blog, always love "food from afar".

The tour of Aldi was impressive. I'm a big fan here at home, but our stuff is rather ordinary, though good. Flavored tuna? We always visit them in Europe, I got a bunch of good cooking supplies in Germany....my favorite was tiny tubes of "essence"/extract for baking. And Stroop Waffles! They are certainly national/regional.

It costs just US$.25 for a shopping cart here....you almost never see one loose in the parking lot.

Thanks

Going to grocery stores is an important travel activity for me. And to get to know a place, check out the pre-packaged and junk food as cultural research (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I do this exact same thing! Drug stores, too! We are off to a first time trip to England and Paris next month and I can't wait to see the stores!

Can you describe the taste of kangaroo for us?

Kangaroo is still a minor meat here but the consumption is increasing. Until recently it was pretty much only used for pet food. I had someone comment to me that country blokes who wouldn't have anything to do with a few years ago are getting serious about grilling roo. It is very lean and doesn't really taste gammy to me. I'm not sure what the right word is, "rich" maybe.

I bought one of those pre-marinated roast things (that's what they had in the store - kangaroo is almost always available but the choice is limited) and it was pretty good although it was way too raw even after cooking longer than the instructions said. I ate around the edges and the rest made a really good chili. Maybe some other Australians will chime in. The kangaroo topic is here.

Pet mince smells pretty disgusting but the dogs and Wattle love it, even though it makes Wattle puke if he eats more than a tablespoon full. Pinot has better taste and won't touch it.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Yum, nothing better than fish & chips. Think I'm gonna get myself some tomorrow!

Hi! Thanks for the comments. I'm amazed at the size fish portions you get here. My usual fish and a dollar's chips costs $5.50. With the scallops etc. it still only cost $10.00. Do you put vinegar or anything on your fish or chips? Here, it seems like they only put salt or seasoned salt on.

Wow this sounds great. How about even more rosemary as the last thing before the cover?

I meant to quote the entry about the lamb shanks but my morning eyes weren't working quite right.

When I say a mass of rosemary on the bottom of the pan - I literally mean covering it with branches. I like to leave the top alone and crack the lid a bit. Trust me the rosemary penetrates without overwhelming. Funny how some bushes are more strongly scented. I have one that I favor for cooking.

Those meat pies look tasty and I particularly like the tomato condiment for contrast.

I love malt vinegar on both my fish and my chips.

I wonder if kangaroo is similar to venison?

I keep forgetting to look for malt vinegar so I used some cider vinegar and (shame) ketchup (Heinz) for the chips.

It's been ages since I had venison, but kangaroo and deer seem to occupy the same ecological niche as browsers fond of leaping in front of cars.

Edited to correct miss-matched parentheses for the other geeks out there.

Edited by haresfur (log)

When I say a mass of rosemary on the bottom of the pan - I literally mean covering it with branches. I like to leave the top alone and crack the lid a bit. Trust me the rosemary penetrates without overwhelming. Funny how some bushes are more strongly scented. I have one that I favor for cooking.

I'll have to swing by Woolies and get some rosemary. I need to plant some, too.

I'll have to swing by Woolies and get some rosemary. I need to plant some, too.

We have similar climates though you have lots more rain so just ensure good drainage. It will be a giant bush before you know it.

I forgot to post the picture of the Shiraz-Vigonier. It's in my all time favourite piece of pottery, a tea cup made by an elderly Chinese man in Pennsylvania. I think he was a retired engineering professor but I forget his name. Anyway the cup is absolutely perfect IMO but a little small for wine. Better for scotch or bourbon. You may have figured out that I use ceramic more than glass and a mug of wine isn't unheard of (less need of refilling).

P4130007.JPG

While I'm at it here are the cookbooks, such as they are.

P4010016.JPG

P4080013.JPG

P4080015.JPG

P4080016.JPG

Here's one for Peter Eater

P4080019.JPG

And for your amusement

P4080020.JPG

P4080022.JPG

Now *THAT* sounds like an interesting blend? Have you had it before? I love both Shiraz and Viognier.....what are they like together???

Lovely little "Wholefoods" store, by the way. Very charming. And great kitchen, love the leaded glass in the door ! You must have some serious muscle to heft that KitchenAid off and onto that cupboard top ! I'm impressed....

I'll report on the wine when I open it. Maybe tomorrow. It was about $6.00 so if it is drinkable, I'll be happy. If not, I can probably get the same effect by hitting myself on the head with the bottle :raz:.

The KitchenAid is an accident waiting to happen. I really need to clear some space in a low drawer...

Shiraz viognier is actually quite an aussie blend, the viognier softens out the shiraz while adding to the fruitiness and the perfumed fragrance - highly recommend you pick up a bottle if you happen across one - i'm a big fan of D'arenbergs Laughing magpie if you see it....

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Can you describe the taste of kangaroo for us?

Kangaroo is still a minor meat here but the consumption is increasing. Until recently it was pretty much only used for pet food. I had someone comment to me that country blokes who wouldn't have anything to do with a few years ago are getting serious about grilling roo. It is very lean and doesn't really taste gammy to me. I'm not sure what the right word is, "rich" maybe.

I bought one of those pre-marinated roast things (that's what they had in the store - kangaroo is almost always available but the choice is limited) and it was pretty good although it was way too raw even after cooking longer than the instructions said. I ate around the edges and the rest made a really good chili. Maybe some other Australians will chime in. The kangaroo topic is here.

Pet mince smells pretty disgusting but the dogs and Wattle love it, even though it makes Wattle puke if he eats more than a tablespoon full. Pinot has better taste and won't touch it.

I've had the same problem with those supermarket roasts. Thing is, there's no standard size for those roasts. Sometimes you get too little ones. Sometimes a big one. Sometimes a biggish one and a little one. The instructions are written for none of these and you need to work off temp. What's the right temp for medium-rare roo? God knows. I'd be shooting in the direction of venison, I guess, given the flavour profile isn't too different.

Also, I've found the 'Macro Meats' stuff from the supermarkets isn't particularly good. It's inexpensive, yeah, but you get what you pay for. You can order better quality 'roo steaks and roasts (maybe stick with the steaks--the roasts are probably easier to over- or under-cook when we're not entirely sure what temp. we're aiming for) through butchers and poultry stores. If you're ever down in Melbourne, visit The Point @ Albert Park. The rest of the menu dances between so-so and nice, but the 'roo fillet is excellent.

So, yeah, for foreigners ... raw or undercooked (as opposed to medium-rare--you can't eat this stuff above medium and you really don't want to eat it blue) it has a very bloody, irony flavour. Not nice. I'd have to put away a few beers before I could be convinced to try someone's 'roo tartare. Overcooked it tastes of little. Medium-rare, tho', and it's a bit--a bit--like venison. It's lean. Put the mince into something that's slow-cook-a ragu, say--and you end up with something that regular punters probably couldn't tell apart from beef, but the steaks are quite different ... while still having that basic 'red meat from a decent-sized mammal' quality.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I forgot to post the picture of the Shiraz-Vigonier. It's in my all time favourite piece of pottery, a tea cup made by an elderly Chinese man in Pennsylvania. I think he was a retired engineering professor but I forget his name. Anyway the cup is absolutely perfect IMO but a little small for wine. Better for scotch or bourbon. You may have figured out that I use ceramic more than glass and a mug of wine isn't unheard of (less need of refilling).

P4130007.JPG

While I'm at it here are the cookbooks, such as they are.

P4010016.JPG

P4080013.JPG

P4080015.JPG

P4080016.JPG

P4080019.JPG

And for your amusement

P4080020.JPG

P4080022.JPG

I love the boiled coot and mixed knuckles. :laugh:

The healing beers book also caught my eye.....I kinda wish you had a healing wines one as that's my drink of choice lol.

We've cooked a few roo steaks, kabobs and some mince since we got here. I have to say that the taste isn't that far off from beef. However, it does smell quite gamy so they're being cooked, especially the mince. I like to have roo more often but it's just not as available as the other meats. The only place I've seen them is at the supermarkets and one butcher shop that has it frozen to a stage that I can't even tell what cut it is.

Edited by annachan (log)

I'll take a beef and onion pie with some of that tomato relish. The fish and chips look good too.

Thanks for sharing some of your favourite pots with us. I prefer glass for my wine but I love the the pots. And I'm with Shelby on the healing wines.

Cheers,

Anne

So I'm guessing that's not an "I Heart Cholesterol" Cookbook...but I bet the recipes would be GREAT if it was! :laugh:

I have the Caprial's Desserts cookbook, and I used to go to the restaurant all the time before it closed. And I was wondering what to do with that bag of newts that have been sitting in the back of the fridge! :wink:

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Just a thought, but 'roo (which I've eaten all of once, never cooked) begins to sound like big rabbit. There are plenty of ways with gamey meat - flavour elements of 'sanglier' (wild boar) recipes, though that's a fatty meat; things like game birds that take fruit or winey sauces. Then there's the rabbit preparations.

I'm enjoying your blog, haresfur. Vicarious food travel again... yay ! Why is that your all-time favourite piece of pottery ? Please give us the insider's-eye-view.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Good to know that the Shiraz/Viognier combo was good. I think I've actually seen it around these parts, and thought......well.....hmmmmmmm. Next time I spot it, I'll pick it up.

That fish & chips looked stellar. My first job was at a fish 'n' chips joint down the street from me. They didn't tell you when they hired you that the smell just NEVER comes out of your clothes. Or your hair. FOR months....well, and the clothes, never. But I still do crave a good fish 'n' chips.

Love the pottery cups for the wine. I bet that they would hold the chill on a white or rose quite nicely.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

P4080019.JPG

The lobster mold on the cover of the Canadian book inspired a huge double take, because I KNEW I wasn't seeing it right! :laugh: (Yes, I have a dirty mind... :raz: )

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I think I have time for a quick update before I go off for an information meeting about solar panels for the house.

I got up a bit late but figured I had time to go grab some bread from the Good Loaf sourdough bakery hidden behind the Bendigo Bank headquarters. I got a cappuccino too. I don't know what they put in it but I got into the zone at work and didn't even grab a slice of the bread, much less lunch.

Needless to say I was pretty hungry when I got home and a simple meal was in order after the deep fried excess of yesterday.

P4130001.JPG

P4130002.JPG

P4130004.JPG

P4130006.JPG

P4140007.JPG

P4140010.JPG

P4140012.JPG

P4140017.JPG

Let's see, the pumkin soup is from Aldi. I can make better but it's not bad. The "brie" is from Tasmania, the dip from Wholefoods and is quite tasty. The olive oil is local and sold from a small shop located at Bendigo Pottery, the oldest operating pottery in Oz. I'll try to find some photos of the shop, or at least the pottery.

P4080019.JPG

The lobster mold on the cover of the Canadian book inspired a huge double take, because I KNEW I wasn't seeing it right! :laugh: (Yes, I have a dirty mind... :raz: )

That is a controversial lobster dish on haresfur's cover. And for the record it's Peter THE eater. :wink:

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

We've cooked a few roo steaks, kabobs and some mince since we got here. I have to say that the taste isn't that far off from beef. However, it does smell quite gamy so they're being cooked, especially the mince. I like to have roo more often but it's just not as available as the other meats. The only place I've seen them is at the supermarkets and one butcher shop that has it frozen to a stage that I can't even tell what cut it is.

Sounds like alligator meat here in SW Florida. If you find it in a restaurant it is fried and served with bbq sauce. In the odd store it is invariably frozen.

P4080019.JPG

That is a controversial lobster dish on haresfur's cover. And for the record it's Peter THE eater. :wink:

My apologies, no double entendre intended. I must be getting old, apparently a dirty mind is the second thing to go... :hmmm:

I'm enjoying your blog, haresfur. Vicarious food travel again... yay ! Why is that your all-time favourite piece of pottery ? Please give us the insider's-eye-view.

Hmm, favourite pottery... On second thought, that's sort of like favourite wine, can I only have just one? Seriously, the cup shown is probably near the top. It is so small and simple but has so much going on with the shape and the way the cross-hatching changes part way down, the rough texture on the unglazed foot, and the luscious sparkling saturated iron glaze that flows down just to the bottom.

Aside from that I have some wonderful small bottles, glazed only by the ash of the kiln, by a friend Jack Troy who literally wrote the book on wood fired pottery. And another bottle by Otto Heino, who recreated a prized ancient Chinese glaze when he was in his 70s and found himself selling pots for up to $100,000. All are beautiful but also feel wonderful in your hands. That's the trouble with museum pots - you miss out on the tactile aspects.

Then there are all the Japanese pottery areas/styles. I'm drawn to Tamba, Shigaraki, and Oribe ware. I'd love to go explore them sometime.

Edited by haresfur (log)

I've had the same problem with those supermarket roasts. Thing is, there's no standard size for those roasts. Sometimes you get too little ones. Sometimes a big one. Sometimes a biggish one and a little one. The instructions are written for none of these and you need to work off temp. What's the right temp for medium-rare roo? God knows. I'd be shooting in the direction of venison, I guess, given the flavour profile isn't too different.

Also, I've found the 'Macro Meats' stuff from the supermarkets isn't particularly good. It's inexpensive, yeah, but you get what you pay for. You can order better quality 'roo steaks and roasts (maybe stick with the steaks--the roasts are probably easier to over- or under-cook when we're not entirely sure what temp. we're aiming for) through butchers and poultry stores. If you're ever down in Melbourne, visit The Point @ Albert Park. The rest of the menu dances between so-so and nice, but the 'roo fillet is excellent.

So, yeah, for foreigners ... raw or undercooked (as opposed to medium-rare--you can't eat this stuff above medium and you really don't want to eat it blue) it has a very bloody, irony flavour. Not nice. I'd have to put away a few beers before I could be convinced to try someone's 'roo tartare. Overcooked it tastes of little. Medium-rare, tho', and it's a bit--a bit--like venison. It's lean. Put the mince into something that's slow-cook-a ragu, say--and you end up with something that regular punters probably couldn't tell apart from beef, but the steaks are quite different ... while still having that basic 'red meat from a decent-sized mammal' quality.

Thanks for the tips. I think you are right, Skippy is a meat that will really show the cooks skill or lack thereof.

I love the boiled coot and mixed knuckles. :laugh:

The healing beers book also caught my eye.....I kinda wish you had a healing wines one as that's my drink of choice lol.

I thought all wine was healing :wink:. I never made anything from the beer book but it is fun to read. I do brew, but don't drink enough beer to get really good at it.